Drug talk with kids????

I am trying to figure out how I go about having the talk with my kids. I honestly never did any drugs in high school. I drank, but no marijuana or anything. I just wonder if I throw that in there will they really believe me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why not? That's what I've told me kids (it's the truth) and they have no reason not to believe me, I've never lied to them before. They have a DARE program at school and they have a Say No to Drugs day every year where they wear red at their school so we've talked about it several times. It wasn't one talk, it's been a series. Kind of like the sex talk, they come back to me when they have questions and I've added to it as they've gotten older.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Talking to your kids about drugs should be a must. Yea we do have the dare program, but that should only break the ice. I talk to my kids all the time about drug as well as sex. I don't want to see my kids rean there lifes with drugs or getting pg. My kids know that if they have any questions they can always come ask me or their dad. I have never done drugs myself but I was one of those kids that seen first had what drugs can do to your family. They say most kids that have parents that do use drugs usally use too, but that was my reason why I didn't touch drug. My family means everything to me and I wouldn't want them to think that I don't care about them. drugs can make a person act like they don't care about the ones that love them most.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I never brought up drugs I did as a teen with my kids, but used others from my youth as an example. They've grown up thinking that I never did, when my son turned 16 and he started asking me I gave him the truth. He was shocked to hear that I had tried marijuana, he didn't believe me at first. When we did discussed I exampled why I tried it and the effects and why I chose to not continue doing it.
    I imagine they would believe you.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Skip the DARE program, it is actually a very INeffective program. I would be brutally honest about what drugs do to a person. How much trouble they can get into, how drugs will affect everyone in their lives.

DO NOT LIE!!!!!!! If you did drugs, tell them and tell them how it affected your life. I do NOT believe in lying to children. That is as bad as saying, don't tell a kid about sex because if you do they will have sex.

Children need to be informed and knowledgable.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• All you can do is tell them how you personally feel about it. What you did as a teenager is not going to make any difference in what they choose to do. I believe most kids will try it, and if they grow up knowing how you feel and know that it is illegal they will have a guilty conscious. I know when I was a teenager we were all raised the same way and we all took a different road. My older brother just spent time in prison for growing it and he smoked and sold it his whole life, I have smoked but not something that I did all the time and my younger brother has never touched it. We are all in our 40's. All you can do is let them know how you feel but they will make those decisions on their own. UNFORTUNATELY!!!! I have 3 children of my own my oldest son got into drugs for a short time and that has passed, my middle daughter now 23 smokes quite often and my youngest 17, tried and she was not impressed, thank god for that.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 4:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This is coming from my 17 yo....her point of view.........

personally, i think that drugs are stupid. i have friends that still do it and think its okay. but the way i look at it, that's there choice. the best way i think you can talk to your children about it is just tell them that its really bad for them and that it WILL ruin your life!! i have seen too many young people, even ppl i go to school with loose there life to drugs. even talking to them may not affect how they make their decisions in the future but you as a parent just have to try your best. with my experience, i did it, yeah, it was stupid but the whole time i knew it was wrong! i finally decided for myself though that that's not me and that i was too smart to throw away my life like that! GOOD LUCK with everything but its hard to tell somebody not to do something if they have never really experienced it.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 4:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've never done drugs but I had the talk with my children because I first educated myself on the subject instead of walking in blindly. I explained to them the street term for each drug, how the drug affects you and how long term use can damage you. I also discussed with them "why" people choose to use drugs. G/L
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We talked about that and drinking all the time with our kids. We would discuss things that were going on in the news about it, what their friends were doing, what we did on college, etc. We talked about all things and then at some point you have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. They got in trouble a couple of times but they knew #1 we loved them and we would get through it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Honestly, my mom would talk to me when a story came on the news about it and I would always hear her saying how stupid the people were while she was watching (of course she didn't say they were stupid to me until I was a teenager). She would tell me of all the dangerous things the people did because they were high and how they had gotten hurt. When i got older she would tell me that drugs were stupid and an excuse to avoid some other problem in your life instead of dealing with it. She explained to me there is no excuse for it. She also told me I was much smarter than that. So, honestly, just being told that I was too smart and too good for that behavior made sure I had no desire to try it. I still have no desire. I do think drugs are stupid and not worth my time and that's how I've always felt. My feelings were only reaffirmed when my older sister (we adopted her through foster care when she was 16 and she had a lot of cont.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• psychological issues with her mother) went out with some guy and got high. They stole a car and crashed it. She had a broken leg and the boy had to have his entire face reconstructed. *shudder*
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011