For how long have you/do you let your baby cio?

and at what age are they/were they? I don't 'do' cio but I'm curios.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• depends on the age.. 5 minutes for a baby under a year 10 for over a year and 15 for 2 and after age 3 i give it anywhere between 15 to 20 minutes
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• never
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Can you please clarify what "cio" is please? I feel like a dummy lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• CRY IT OUT
    I let my son at 8 months old cry for 45 minutes.. He had 14 hour a day colic for 6 months - so due to the severity, he had zero self soothing skills and literally at one point didn't sleep for 3 days straight - after 3 Different Ped's suggesting this would be his only shot to learn to sooth himself.. I did it - within 2 days he was sleeping through the night. Say what you will - some of us don't have a "choice"
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I kind of let my daughter cry it out at about seven months when we wanted her to learn to sleep in her crib rather than in bed with us and she was way too big for her bassinet anymore. The longest I would let her cry was 3 minutes- I would set a timer. At first I only let her cry for 2 minutes but then I guess I got stronger and could wait a whole 3 mintues- lol. I never left her crying if she was really screaming or wailing though. A serious cry meant I came in right away. It worked and she had slept in her own bed ever since. I don't know what I would have done if it had not worked, but I don't feel ok with leaving my child to cry for long periods of time without comfort. To me, even ten minutes seems like too long.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Starting at about six months old we did our own version of cry it out. I did one evening of all out cry it out (several hours) and it killed me. So I'd put my baby in their crib and let them be. If they started crying I'd give them 5 minutes to sort themselves. At that 5 minute mark, if they were starting to wind down I'd let them go another 5 minutes; for a total of 10 minutes, post lay down. If they were still going strong at that first five minutes I'd go in and comfort them. Also, if at any time the cry changed from protest to pissed off/scared I'd throw the timing out the window and go in immediately to comfort.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Did you just comfort with cuddles or would you feed them/nurse them?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Never. Even Ferber who initially wrote about it has come out and said it isn't necassarily a good thing when done the way he first proposed.  I would be very wary of any CIO methods and definitely do a lot of research before implementing them.  There is a lot of controversy out there about it.  I did what felt right to me and that was to cosleep and keep my babies close and not let them cry.  Fuss yes, cry alone no.  There were many nights with my oldest teething where he cried himself to sleep, but he did it while in my arms not alone in a dark room.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes I co sleep atm, but morgan is almost 13 months now. We co slept from about 4 months. I want to go back to work soon. The thing is because we co sleep she tends to sleep with me at the time I go to sleep (and nap on the sofa/in the buggy etc) but not in her cot. While this was good a few months ago it's not a good thing now.. and when I try to lay her in her cot she just cries and wants to be picked up, which I do. I need a solution!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• When I would go in to comfort I did not nurse. I would pat her back or even just pick her up and get her settled back down and hopefully drowsy and then put her back in the crib. I didn't talk a lot and tried to keep it really quiet and low key. If your dd is 13 months I say do it now before she can climb out of a crib because it'll be that march harder if you have to walk her back to bed twenty times. I think CIO can be done gently and lovingly. I really felt like once my dd realized that I would come back she felt ok to fall asleep. We also had a really set routine for bed time so she had plenty of cues to get herself tired and in bedtime mode, lots of cuddles, etc before she went down.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011