How old is too old for a stroller?

I have a 2 year-old and a 5 year old my ex-MIL wants to take the kids to the Zoo in strollers and I think my oldest is a bit too old for a stroller.

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 4:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• i say the stroller need to go at 3 and a half -4 def once there 4 year old there to old , five is school age

ok if your kid has got medical problem to need one that's dif

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 4:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I just recently quit putting the 5 yr old in the double stroller w/ her sister (she's 4) and really the only reason is because she's physically too big. She tends to run off on occasion when we've let her walk sooo its a safety issue. She's doing much better w/ it but still I have to remind her often to stay w/ us. She loves to run up ahead to see "stuff".
    Anonymous

• We didn't keep our kids in strollers at that age either, but you can rent wagons at the zoo and we did do that for several years after the stroller age was over.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• honestly it depends on the child. i know my 4 year old was content riding around in an umbrella stroller when we went to Disney World, that place requires a lot of walking. she only wanted to get out for the parade. i think it's nice to have incase they start complaining that they're tired of walking. my 4 year old loves to run and play on the playground and ride her bike but she hates actually walking places.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• At a really big place, I can see using a stroller for a 5-year-old because YOU don't want to be limited by a 5-year-old's abilities. On the other hand, if it's just for the kids, I'd go home when the 5-year-old is getting tired.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i took my son 2 the zoo last year when he was 4 he enjoyed the walking but a stroller is good to..most zoos u can rent a stroller thats big enough...
    cammay

Answer by cammay at 4:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It depends on the kid. I am trying to get my 4 year old out of a stroller but she still needs it sometimes. I try not to use it at the mall or smaller places like the children's museum but we will probably need it at big, out door, all day places like amusement parks. I did take my 2 kids to the zoo by myself last week, I had my 4 year old walk and my 18 month old in the stroller. By the end of the zoo my 4 year old was exhausted and I had to carry her to the car and push the stroller, it was kind of a pain. Do you think your 5 year old can make it through the zoo? If you do then say no stroller, but if there is a chance he or she can't then let her bring the stroller.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would say it depends on the child, but its always good to have. I wouldn't let a 5 year old ride in a stroller all day, but towards the end of the day, when they are getting tired and just need to stop walking, its very good to be able to let them ride.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• how does the 5 year old feel about it? if they can still fit and they want to ride in it, I don't see a big problem. Depends on the kid.
    my baby brother was too big for them at 2 1/2.

see how you kid feels about it.
    Anonymous

• I stopped using the stroller when my daughter was 3. However, you can always get a wagon for the children.
    elliesmum06

Answer by elliesmum06 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2011