Can I give my newborn baby my grandmother's last name? She is very special to me. The father is not around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Very few states have laws on this. In most states, you can give baby whatever last name you want.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You can name your child whatever you want

Answer by gemgem at 4:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Go for it!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• really though? You wouldn't want your child to have YOUR last name?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Use it for the baby's middle name maybe
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think its a pain to have a different last name than your child. But if it's what you want go for it. Maybe change your own name as well.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• you don't have to give her the father's last name, how about giving the baby your last name instead and maybe putting some part of your grandma's first or middle name in his or her name?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I dont want baby to have my last name either. Its personal issues with my family and I think my grandmas deserves it using her last name will honor her, she is special to me..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I believe you can do it. When they are getting the information for her birth certificate you can ask them :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Most states allow you to use whatever you want. My husband's Aunt and Uncle are not married and made a combination of their names together for their children. There are so many single parents out there now a days that don't share the same last name as their children that it isn't as bad as it used to be. Most people think it is a pain because of filling out paper work and stuff or talking on the phone and telling people you have different last names, but now a days most people ASK if you share the last name so you get the question either way!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011