Did your child become sad when they realized they were growing up?

My son is 8 and a half. Last night we were watching nursery rhymes on youtube with my 5 yo and 1 y0 to try and calm the youngest one down (it was nearly bedtime) My son all the sudden broke out into tears and said "Mom, I don't want to grow up"
I think he is realizing he is changing. It made me sad. I told him he still has lots of time to grow up.

upintrees

Asked by upintrees at 6:23 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 7 year year old says the same thing, lol. It makes me sad too and I tell him I wish he didn't have to grow up also but everyone does. I just tell him that I used to be a kid like him and tell him things I used to do and even show him pictures.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter (12) just did that to me recently because I told her I wasn't buying her any more Barbies for Christmas. I told her that she's starting to outgrow them and soon she'll be wanting to get rid of the ones she has. Besides, she already has TONS and her room is a pigsty. LOL. She tried to convince me that she still loves her Barbies. But then she's asking for makeup and new clothes, too. LOL. It's kind of cute when they get in that in-between stage.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Yeah, my daughter has done this too. Full on sobbing "I don't want to grow up, I want to be 5 forever and always live with you and daddy....." It brought me to tears too because its a realization that she is going to grow up and a few years from now she WON'T want to always live at home with us. Then a few years more and she will be telling us how she can't wait until she gets out of school and can move out, *sigh*. Thankfully she's still 5 and loves to snuggle and hugs and kisses, etc.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• yeah I think what you said to him was right ,he is so no where near grown up .poor mite ,he has loads of kiddie time left .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 7:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I wish. . .my 6 yr old thinks it's hilarious that I don't want her to grow up, and in her "too smart for her age way" informs me that "Mom, of course I'm gonna grow up, but I'm always gonna be your baby!" . . . Sob sniffle
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2008