my son is 6months old and he still wont sleep through the night. hell get up wanting to play which usually leaves me always tired. how can i get him to sleep through the night?

Amanda90

Asked by Amanda90 at 6:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he is getting up and wants to play then i can only suggest keep him a little more busy during the day. he seems to be not worn out enough. But if thats not the case then he is just not tired enough to sleep. some babies are just like that.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I agree with the above. Maybe you can make his bedtime later too and give a bottle or BF before putting him down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Who says you have to get up to play? Get a mobile with a remote control or crib toy that he can push the boutton to turn on and leave him be. He will be able to put himself back to sleep when he's ready. I've got the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders aquarium and its got the remote and a button he can push to turn it on and I am so glad I got it!!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• thanks for the advice...but i do play with him all day to wear him out. hes got a toy in there that plays a motion picture on the ceiling and also it has buttons he can play with... he dont seem to like that to much though... ive also tried giving him a bath and feeding him a bottle.. the only way he falls asleep is by laying on my chest while i rock him and pat his back. he was born 9 wks early and ive been told that could be why he doesnt sleep all night. ive tried crying it out but that doesnt work because hell start screaming and ill end up giving in. I try to wear him out as much as possible before bed but it doesnt seem to do anything.
    Amanda90

Answer by Amanda90 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter used to do the same thing...Does he get cereal? I started Delilah on cereal at six months. I tried to spoon feed her first but until she got the hang of it I would put like a teaspoon in her bottle (you'll have to cut a bigger hole) and that helped a lot! Does he sleep on his belly? That usually helps also. Kids are said to be in the clear of SIDS after six months. Well, I know it's a year but statistics show that between 4 and six months has the highest rate of deaths due to sids!. One more thing. I know you tried to let him cry it out and he refused but...try again. I know it's hard to listen to him cry but it's because he just doesn't understand why your doing it. Any child under the age of one CANNOT comprehend that they are not loved. If you let him cry, he'll sleep better and have no recollection of it in the morning and you'll be on your way to snoozville! It's not selfish...Mom's need to be rested.
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i put cereal in his bottles and the only way he will sleep is on his belly lol. is there any other ways than letting him cry. when i try that he screams till hes red in the face and he seems to never let up.
    Amanda90

Answer by Amanda90 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Babies CRAVE playing - you have to show him that in the middle of the night isn't the time -of course they don't "understand" yet but the only thing that worked with me is letting my son cry it out - I know you don't want to do that but it worked.....in the begining, til the teeth started and now at 1 he's back in the habit of waking once a night still - but he has cried over 2 hours many times and he's always fine..its hard but they need to know that can't get up when they want to play
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Do you pick him up? Give him a new diaper? If you do...you could stop doing that. Flip him back over and pat his butt so it kinda rocks him. I would turn the toy on or anything like that. Try not to even talk to him really unless it's to sing him a lullaby. Do you have him on a schedule? I know you said a bath bottle and rocking...but what about his schedule during the day? If you try getting him on a strict schedule (up at the same time, food at the same time and naps at the same time)it could help. It creates a routine for the baby so they can anticipate what will happen next . Also, one other thing, which I understand if you don't want to, try to stop rocking him. Instead, put him in the crib drousy...but not sleeping. Then pat his bottom (like i stated before). It will mimic rocking but he'll also learn to fall asleep on his own which could in turn help him stay asleep.
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Check out www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous