Marijuana[please help]

Okay, so I realize that it is stupid to smoke marijuana when you are pregnant, but i get really bad migraine headaches, and I was previously on Imitrex, but because I am pregnant, I cannot take the Immitrex, and my migraines have only intensified since I became pregnant.
I have had one tox screening already,
and failed it, and they said that it was okay.
But I am really scared, because I have another one to take today,
and if i fail this one, which I know that I will, they said that they have to get CYS involved.

I dont know what to expect exactly.
This is my first pregnancy and I have 6 weeks to go.

Some people have told me that they will take my baby after he is born and fine me, then throw me in jail..
Others have told me that they take the baby and court order you to have your tubes cut and tied..

Does anyone know for certain?

MizzKinderfeld

Asked by MizzKinderfeld at 6:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well i consider it child abuse. Would you give your newborn a joint to smoke? i doubt it!

I know what you are going through with the migraines. I have them since years and really bad. Sometimes i would rather die than having another migraine attack. But you just have to deal with it.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I don't know about making you have your tubes tied but they can place the baby in foster care, so you have to decide what is more important, your headaches or your baby?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• How often have you been taking marijuana?
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 8:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• They can't forcibly steralize you, but they can (and possibly should) consider removing your baby from your custody. I also suffer from Migranes and was on both Imitrex and Topamax. I had to quit both medications before I even started trying to concieve. There were entire days where I would lay in the bed and cry from the pain, but quess what....I didn't drug my baby! You made poor choices and now you'll have to deal with the consequences. If you are lucky, they'll let you enroll in a drug treatment program and let you keep the baby with a period of supervision. Please start putting your baby first. Good luck to you.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• They will usually try to improve the family situation before removing the child if there is no immediate danger. I would be very concerned about having any drugs in your possession though...how would that look if you told them you were trying to change and had a bunch of pot on you? I agree with the PP, they probably will require you to attend a drug treatment program.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• u will NOT get ur tubes tied without YOUR permission...If you keep failing the tox test,yes they will get Child Protective Services involve,which u dont want to happen. Once the baby is born,the baby will be test to see if he or she is affected by the drug. You will be under investigation for a while. I dont know what state u are in but in NY,its like that.They cant take ur baby away without a court order first. But u will be watched so please start thinking for ur baby 's sake if u really want whats best for his/her health and life...
    deafrose

Answer by deafrose at 9:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i cant tell you what they do, i smoked alot during my first preg but i didnt know i was until i was 4 months preg. and i was always around it its not like i avoided my friends and whatnot while they were smoking its natural unless you get some real messed up mixed crap but it didnt harm my daughter and really its not like your doing crack or a rug that has had reports on effecting a baby. i doubt you'd find reports of weed hurting and unborn baby.

and i know in Pa they wont tie your tubes until you've given birth to 3 kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I can't really tell you what to do about your migraines, or anything about CPS. I do know that marijuana doesn't hurt the baby, bc I've known several women to smoke throughout their pregnancies. But bc it's still illegal, doctors have to report it if they find it in your system. If it's the next tox screening you're worried about, there is a de-tox drink at GNC for about $50 that cleans your system within an hour or two. My husband used it once to pass a drug screening and it worked. You could use it to pass the tox screen, but I have no idea about the migraines honey. Sorry..
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• what I want to know is how some of you can say that it does not hurt the baby? Just because you know a few people who thought more about themselves than their unbornchild and nothing was wrong. How do you know that? There are many things that it CAN affect and many are not seen right away?
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-smoke-marijuana-during-pregnancy_2490.bc
    http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec22/ch259/ch259a.html

I'm really sorry to hear about your migraines but I am even more sorry for your baby.
    Anonymous

• YES THEN CAN TAKE THE BABY FROM YOU. IF YOU WANTED THE BABY BACK YOU MAY NEED TO TAKE DRUG TESTS.
    THEY CANT FORCE YOU TO GET YOUR TUBES TIED.
    I SMOKED AT THE BEGINNING OF MY PREGNANCY B4 I KNEW I WAS PG. I AM STILL AROUND IT AND THE DAD STILL SMOKES, ITS HARD 2 GIVE IT UP BUT IT IS SERIOUS AND YOU HAVE TO DECIDE IF ITS WORTH LOSING YOUR BABY OVER.
    THERE ARE NO STUDIES PROVING IT IS BAD FOR THE BABY BUT IT IS ILLEGAL AND MATTER OF THE FACT IS THAT THE BABY WILL BE TAKEN AWAY.
    SO TAKE THE OTHER MEDS IF YOU WANT SOMETHING, TRY EVERYTHIN POSSIBLE.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2008