Car seat and a 2 door car???

I have a pontiac transam the carseat really dont fit if the baby is facing the back..is it illegal to put him facing the front ?? even if hes buckled up..he is 4 month old..and i do not have y other car sometimes..so i really dot have a choice..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is a VERY bad idea. I dont know if it's illegal in your state but it should be. Rear facing til AT LEAST a year.

I'd get a new more baby friendly car.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I know where you are coming from. How hard would it be for you to trade in your car on a small 4-door car for equal or less value? With my children I didnt forward face the carseat closer to when they got to a year. We had to trade in for a used mini van to fit all three kids. As far as the law goes, the best place to find your answr would be to stop by your local firestation house. They may have some tips, and they know the carseat laws.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 4:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I know the feeling of having a baby and a two door car. I had a mustang and it sucked getting the baby in and out of the car. I really don't think its a good idea to forward face the carseat. There are warning labels on just about everything for a reason. If you're capable of trading in your car financially speaking then you might want to.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Not sure if its illegal but I know where you're coming from. When my youngest was born, I had a 2door Honda Civic, was not carseat friendly and certainly couldn't afford a new car (even used), a car payment wasn't option. So until I could afford one he sat front facing, I never had an issue. I know its not a good idea but it was that or never leave the house (which wasn't a option either).
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• When that was an issue for us, we just put the baby rear facing in the passenger seat
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2011