4 moth old and cradle cap...ugh...?

what makes it go away..and what causes it..and is his hair suppose to fall out with it?

Mami9674

Asked by Mami9674 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast milk worked somewhat for my dd. Rubbing fresh breast milk on the areas and brushing it away. Hair did fall out with it also.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• it's dandruff, plain and simple. baby shampoo dries the scalp. use an adult dandruff shampoo
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Cause: I don't really know.
    Go away: you can pick/flake it off. I've heard of baby oil in the hair, not real sure how well that works though. It does not bother the baby at all, just us moms.
    Hair falling out: I think it depends on the baby. My son had cradle cap and his hair did not fall out. My daughter had cradle cap and her hair would come out in little clumps as I'd flake the stuff off.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes, baby oil does well. What I always did was before their bath I would gently rub into the scalp then with a comb gently comb it. You'll need to use a bit of pressure. It just basically takes off the flakes. Then wash. My son actually needed to repeat the process a couple times. It's just dry skin so its not anything to worry about. Once its gone you can always just rub a little bit of baby oil through their hair once and a while to keep their scalp from flaking.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't really worry about it.
    It goes away on it's own over time...

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I found that the more I messed with it the worse it got. The only thing that did finally help was putting some coconut oil on and lightly combing though it. If I scratched too much off it would seep and scab over and get 10x worse. Once I decided to just leave it alone, and I did the coconut oil thing about once a week, it got much much better.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Olive Oil works quite well just let it sit on your lo's hair and then use a comb to loosen the flakes. :) Rinse well and then use your lo's normal shampoo.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• rub olive oil on the scalp two hours before bath and use the bumble bee cradle cap shampoo and brush it during shampoo. It will come back tho, but not as bad if you wash it everyday.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011