Best dog food for healthy skin???

My dog has a skin irritation and I am looking for the best dog food to help? Her skin is flaky and dry and the hair is falling out leaving patches. Help?

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Pets

• You can add a tablespoon of olive oil-less for small breeds on the food every night. Or you can add a fish oil capsule from your own pharmacy, over the counter, or the egg, or all of it.

Try to select a grain free diet, it is the easiest thing to eliminate in terms of food allergies. So try a diet that has no soy, wheat or corn listed.

Wellness, orijen, cali natural, fromm, canidae, natural balance allergy formulas...all better choices.

And it is probably worth checking out because flaky skin can just be a result of dry winter air. However it can also be an indication of hypothyroidism, allergies, or even parasites. It takes time for diet and supplements alone to clear up the skin, so it is worth having it checked out in the meantime.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• actually the best thing you can do is 1 buy and all natural food like blue...but 2 mix one raw egg in her food. raw eggs are very good for dog's skin and coat
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I use Wellness, and this seems to be good for my dog.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Before you go and switch foods you might want to have your dog checked by the vet. She may have a skin infection that food will not help. But as far as food goes my favorite for dogs with allergies is California Natural.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• check with your vet they can recommend the best for your dog
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2011