How do you go about moving with a 3 year old?

So i'm hoping to be getting into a college here soon. I'm wondering how I would go about getting me and my child to New york from IL. And i don't mean the moving part i mean making the move as easy on him as possible. I haven't made up my mind if it will be by car or train yet so which every way it is going to be a long time.

So any ideas how to keep him happy durning the many hour car/train ride?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Travel

• Portable dvd player, Nintendo DS, books book books, crayons...GOOD LUCK!
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thought of some more...etch a sketch or those doodle pros, play fun games like "I Spy".
    Jeannie721

• I moved about year ago from California to Oklahoma by car. But my child was only 6months old. Anyhow i packed toys and bought a portable dvd player and play Mickey Mouse, Little Einsten..all educational movies.. To help my child stay comfortable. And i stead of keeping my son in the car seat while he was sleeping i put him in the seat next to me so he could stretch out and be more comfortable.
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• And i stead of keeping my son in the car seat while he was sleeping i put him in the seat next to me so he could stretch out and be more comfortable.

You were in a car and you placed your sleeping child next to you, not in a car seat? Or you were in a train, maybe I misunderstood. I really hope you didn't place your 6 month old sleeping on a car seat while you drove to Oklahoma, that's incredibly illegal and unsafe. But if you meant train then I get it.

I suggest traveling by train, then you can help entertain instead of drive. But if this option isn't available then pack a portable DVD player, any of his favorite toys, drive more at night if possible so he sleeps for long periods, and allow for frequent stops. Try to allow him to run and play at those stops to get out energy. It might not be the most fun trip of your life but it's completely doable. How exciting for you guys! Best of Luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• lots of books, games, coloring books, cd player, toys
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Just drive a few hours a day if that's possible. Otherwise, DVD player, etc for entertainment. Also, stop at restaurants with play areas along the way.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We grabbed some of the dollar mini-hand-held games from Wal-mart in case they got tired of movies; some of them are simple enough for a 3 yr old. Or maybe a magna-doodle type of thing....
    arpkdmom

Answer by arpkdmom at 6:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you are driving by yourself I've read that some drive during the night so that their child is asleep. If by train well you can focus on the child with entertaining stuff as other have suggested.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I've traveled with my kids a LOT. Right now they are 5 and 21 months. We started the extensive traveling with them when my oldest was 15 months. Whether it's in the car or on a plane we always make sure to have a few of their favorite toys and any attachment item such as a blankie, fave doll, etc. Also plenty of snacks and drinks. We take colors, books, etc. For the car they each have a portable DVD player that hangs on the back of the front seat so they can each watch their own movie - they're lifesavers! Now they each have a child's digital camera which keeps them entertained and my 5 year old has a DS so she spends quite a bit of time playing that. When she was 2-3 she had a little laptop computer she played games on. In the car we take a break every 3-4 hrs, but if your child isn't used to traveling you can do breaks more often. It helps to get out and walk around. Good luck!
    travellingmom20

Answer by travellingmom20 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011