Am I the only one that feels uncomfortable going to a male gynocologist??

My nurse practitioner referred me to a gynocologist on Monday. I have an appt with him on the 31st. The only male doctor I've had was for my second pregnancy that resulted in stillbirth of my daughter. This so called OB wasn't even licensed to be an OB I found out after the fact of the matter that my daughter passed away and I got out of the hospital. Anywho, I'm just so nervous having a male gynecologist. I feel more comfortable with women. Anybody else feel that way?

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• Just look at him as a Dr. That is it. Your a patient to him. As far as why men are Gyn's...they make good money. Although Gyn's /Obs and anesthesiologist have the highest insurance rates because of certain complications that can occur and be over looked. Seriously just go, close your eyes the appt will be over before you know it and a nurse will be present. Good Luck
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i feel that way. think about it. there are so many medical fields to go into. i personally have chosen plastic surgery. why would a man choose to swab women's crotches every day and stick his hand in several vagina's every day. i don't think it's where a man needs to be. you need to wonder what was going through his head when he chose gynecology. i'm not talking about obstetrics. i can understand wanting to be a part of the miracle of birth, but for a man to be a gyno i feel is wrong
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It doesn't make a difference to me. I always had a male OB/GYN until just a couple years ago. But if you are more comfortable with a woman dr, then go to a female.

Answer by missanc at 5:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yup, but female OBs have the tendency to have a less sypathetic attitude. I said screw OBs and got myself a CNM,
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I 2nd meandrphoto. I have PCOS, and the female docs I've been to (except for one) have an "it's not that bad" attitude, but the men are always sympathetic and understanding.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i used to go to a female, but she closed her practice and joined with another out of town.. my insurance now only covers 2 of the ob/gyn in town... otherwise its a 45 + minute drive.... the only female at the place i am currently going to is in extremely high demand (being the only female) so since i need to go every week, i have a male at first i was uncomfortable.. but he is wonderful and ive gotten over the awkward feeling
    kmencl3210

Answer by kmencl3210 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I used to, before I went to my first OB appointment when I was Pregnant with my Son. I had something happen to me as a teen when I saw a male gyno, so it made me afraid of ALL male doctors. But my OB was THE best doctor ever, and proved that not all of them are pervs. The gyno I see now is female and def the best female doc I have ever had..but I had a horrible one, too, before this one. She actually delivered my Son because my male OB wasn't on call that day..ugh. She did fine, but she made me feel like a piece of shit for having my nipples pierced (a whole other story). There's good and bad with both, it just depends on the individual doctor. As far as being comfortable - that's a personal thing. Many females don't want a male gyno. I'm just used to getting pierced/tattooed by male artists (yes, in private areas), so no biggie for me.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• There are only 2 gyno's in this town...both male.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't have the option to go to a female, wish I did.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I am not sure all I have ever went to was a male. The first male was with my first OB that was when I went on birth control, but I only went to him one time because he didn't deliver babies he just done paps and stuff like that and after 2 months of birth control I decided I wanted a baby. So I went to this other OB that I went to while I was pregnant with my daughter now almost 6. I had a bad birth experance with him so I went to him for my 6 week check up then 1 yearly check up when my daughter was 18 months we went to a new OB the one that ended up coming and delivering her by forceps. So I have been seeing this OB now for 5 and a half years he also delivered my youngest and will deliver my unborn I am carring now. I couldn't ask for a better OB. I have a male family doctor as well and if he would ever need to you know check down there for whatever reason I already told DH I wouldn't let him I would be going to my OB
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011