Did anyone have a premie baby who had a lvl 4 brain bleed and need a shunt?

My baby was born at 23 wks and has a lvl 4 brain bleed on both sides (its in the ventricles and the cortex as well) and dr's say all sorts of things..handicapped, blindness, deafness...etc....long list.......now they say her ventrcles are getting larger since they cant drain all the blood and shell need a shunt...
Did anyone have this?

Erzy

Asked by Erzy at 5:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was born via emergency c-section at 28 weeks gestation; diagnosed with PVL (periventricular leukomalacia - it's a deadening of the tissues near the ventricles caused by brain bleeds) and is sometimes a precursor to cerebral palsy. She never needed a shunt though. We were told all those things too - she may never see, hear, eat, walk, talk, do anything on her own, etc. With the exception of having to wear leg braces and go through physical therapy from ages 2 - 7 to deal with some tightening of the calf muscles, she developed normally. Looking at her today, you'd never believe how she started out in life.

I'm thinking of you and your little one; sending prayers your way.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My son son had lvl2 and it stop bleeding on its own my son is have problems in his eyes and hearing but we are not 100% sure how bad they are.... I'm sorry you'll never know how bad things are until there older for the most part my son is great btw he was a 24 weaker
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 6:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011