What are single moms opinion on soy milk opposed to reg milk for there toddler?

my daughter loves milk but im afraid she i drinking too much due to her bal movements he first time with and the fact that we are battling diherrea.. i am trying soy milk for the first time with her, she seems to not tatse a diffrence , wich is good but id still like some pros and cons of soy

johnellvb

Asked by johnellvb at 5:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does being a single mom have to do with it? Just wondering. I would give soy milk only if there was a medical need for it. NO child needs milk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i expressed single mom bc i am doing it on my own i dont have a signifiant other to help me. i understand no child NEEDS any thing but that is a comfort to her. all children have diffrent comfort( blankets, doll, ect) guess my daughters is milk
    johnellvb

Comment by johnellvb (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• yes they are always gonna come out with something they say is more healthier but before soy milk for years babies was drinking reg milk, feel its very good for them give water in between but milk does a body good..
    cammay

Answer by cammay at 5:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I understand that you're going about this alone, but that doesn't have anything to do with this specific topic. I understand as well you may want specific help from parents who understand your situation, but you may find that moms of all kinds have beneficial answers as well.

My daughter, who is one, has a strong comfort from the bottle. Outside of her blanket. She will carry around a bottle all day and night if I let her. She'll find them from a place I didn't even know it was and try to use it. Therefore, I only give her the bottle at certain times of the day to insure that she isn't getting too much milk. She gets a few ounces when she wakes up, at nap time, before dinner, and at bedtime. Anytime she gets milk during the day it's no more then 4-5 oz's.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Have you taken her to the dr.??? My son is 18 months old and he has BM(Bal Movements) problems too. He had gotten very fussy, and i took him to the dr and did test, and tryed this and tryed that but to make it as a litttle as possible. My son is lactose and tolerant. So now he is on soy milk. But when he was a new born he was on breast milk and soy formula.
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• What does being single have to do with it?

Here's a link to give you some more info http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Food/Good-foods/Pros_And_Cons_Of_Soy_Milk.aspx

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm not a single mom but I would avoid soy at all costs. It is an endocrine disruptor. Honestly, once my kids got older, we avoided cow's milk as well. It is NOT the health food it is made out to be.
    Anonymous

• I don't think Soy is the answer. It is important for them to have regular milk. Put Lite Karo Syrup, not the brown stuff, a tablespoon, in the milk, it makes the bm lots easier. That is what my pediatrician recommended to me when my daughter was constantly constipated and yes, make sure to give your child water in between, too. If you are still concerned, just call your pediatrician, that is what they are there for.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• the bad thing about soy milk is that it raises estrogen levels. try organic milk or even a lower fat. if its giving her the runs, it might mean she's lactose intolerant (why do we always love what we shouldn't have?) maybe try goat milk
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 5:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2011