How can I potty train a 3yr old that will be 4 in July before school starts?

My daughter was doing great when we first started which was Oct. '09 & she was 2. Things were going amazing for 6 months than it went sour. Than allof a sudden she is doing amazing again for about 4 months & than it went sour and been this way since. She knows what she is doing & all she keeps saying is she wants to be a baby. I believe she is doing this to get some type of attention. Pls help me!!

adorabl3

Asked by adorabl3 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The only thing that worked for us was making her wear the big girl underwear so she'd feel the wet. She cleans up any messes too.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Ty :)
    adorabl3

Comment by adorabl3 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree with the big kid underwear. My son trained remarkably well I thought and I feel like a big part of that was becaues of the underwear. We started with cloth and right around the time he turned 3 we switched him to big boy underwear. He was really proud of that so I think that helped too.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My daughter had to be potty trained for prek3. So we started the first part of summer. No clothes, no diapers, no panties for 1 week... nap and bed time jammies and a pullup. I warned all family and friends who might stop over that we would have a wild child. I gave her as much juice/water/milk as she wanted, and sit the timer for 15 minutes the first day. I took her to the potty every 15 minutes. Accidents happened the first 3 days, my carpet cleaner was in full force! but the more liquid intake, the more chances to peepee. I put training potty in the kitchen and also used the big potty with the little kid sit. Week 2, introduced clothes and panties. No shorts, nothing that would be to hard to get off in time to make it to the potty. By 3 weeks, she was potty trained fully. She had all summer to practice, and have accidents here and there..but came school time, we had no accidents!!!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• also, never get on to her when she has accidents, because that is attention, even if it is negative. Only give positive reenforcement. A m&m jar by the potty or a sticker book so she can get a sticker if she t-ts. At first give a treat if he will sit there for 3 minutes. A timer by the potty is good so she can see the time she needs to sit there. Good luck, you can do it... Its the perfect age!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No diapers, no pullups not even for bed. Use a mattress pad. Expect messes, and make her clean them up (with your help).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Ty you all so much!!
    adorabl3

Comment by adorabl3 (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My son went through the regression to baby bit, and while he still goes back to it he seemed to really feed into "no matter how big you get you'll always be my baby' speeches and lots of extra hugs and reassurance that we would still love him and take care of him as he got bigger.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011