Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I was wondering if my children's father file his taxes................(child support question)

and get's a rapid refund or something like that what will happen since he's so far(yrs.) behind with child support and owes alot , what will happen because he's trying to be spiteful and said i won't get it, so how will things workout, will i get anything or will he get to keep it, and if i do which will i receive first, FED or ST.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • I am pretty sure but not positive that if back child support is owed then they automatically take it out even if its rapid refund.

    Answer by jenn4443 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • No, they do NOT automatically take it out.
    You have to have an active case with Child Support Enforcement through Social Services (DCF), your social worker files a complaint, the tax return is intercepted.
    If you do not have an active case with CSE you can expect nothing. It is already too late to file this year, you should do so for next.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • Side note- if he has remarried and has another family/child he can file a petition to keep his tax return.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • if he owns back child support the irs will take it from him before he even gets his money from the irs! That means if he files his taxes not directly with teh irs and get a "loan" thing, and DOESNT tell them what he owns child support, he will get his "loan" money for what they think he would get but he has to pay them back in the end. As I said the irs will take care of it theself, he wont be getting the money, as far as I know.

    Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • My husbands ex wife owes losts in back child support and when her husband filed taxes they sent his check to my husband.

    Answer by 7thHeaven5 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • i am in the same boat as you. i was told if he files his taxes and he owes whatever he owes will go to you. well im still waiting and now i think that my childrens father did not file because he doesnt want to pay child support. i hope things work out for you

    Answer by lilsmiley0001 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • @ jenn and Obby, yes, the case is active and he's not remarried. @Littlebirdfly i'm quite sure he won't tell the tax place he's behind so you're saying he'll get his loan money, so is the IRS or Tax place going to take the amount he loaned out of the return and send the rest to me or will the IRS send me the whole return and he will have to pay the tax people their money, and will that be State and Federal returns given to me, we get both in our state. I guess this is his way of getting some money handed to him. @7TH OH WOW. @lilsmiley good luck

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • If he owes child support and its reported that he owes he won't get any of his refund back. the irs will issue it to the government and then send it to you.

    Answer by lucky35 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

  • yes, if he doesn his taxes and some place like its very common now a days where you get a loan kind a thing that you get you refund within 24 hours or such, thoese places estemate your return and give you a loan adn then get payed by the irs, but of courese (as far as I know) if its less he has to pay them the difference (the tax place). Irs will see that he own back child support and will NOT give him his return (or full return dependin on how much he own) Good luck.

    Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

  • so instead of him getting the rapid refund check in 24 hours i'll receive and then the government will send the rest in 2 weeks like people normally get it , so his federal will come in two payments and i'll get the state too, am i right , will someone let me knowif i'm correct

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.