Were you a victim? adult content

Have you been a victim of sexual abuse?
How are you coping?

When I was 13 I was molested by my dad.....i never said anything until i was 18. I am sooo afraid for my daughter. I always had bad relationships with men, for a long time scared of men.
Now I'm 26 and I no longer see myself as a victim. I talk about it as much as I can and one day I planned to be a counselor for young girls that been through the same or similar.
Whats your story? feel free to post anonymously

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• I was molested by my brother. My family disowned me for saying something about it. I have dealt with it on my own for years.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I was molested by my mother and step father when I was a preteen, and drugged and raped by my step father shortly before I left their home for good. I've forgiven and moved on for the most part, but the whole story is quite a long one, so I won't go into details. I still have nightmares sometimes, especially if I sleep alone.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My father never touch me or my sister but someone from the church we used to go to thought and we were token away from our parents because it so that messed with our minds I know its not the same but I still remember the day the drs needed to check me and my sisters to make sure we were not raped I'm sorry I was messed up by that
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 5:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes, by an older cousin. For almost a decade, I didn't tell anyone. I was finally forced to "come clean" at the age of 17 - which helped tremedously. I had tons of family support, and was able to forgive him. Letting go was the hardest and best thing I've ever done.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It happened to me during the ages of 4-7. He was supposed to be my step-father. It was a horrible experience & I wished that nothing like this could ever happen to anyone. I am past the fact that I got hurt in anyway but I am scared because it is getting closer to my daughter turning 4 & somedays I can handle it & somedays I can't. The most that hurt me was that my mother who was suppose to protect me never did she vouched for him and called me a liar. Thats the only part that hurts me even until now. My quote is that if it wasn't for them screwing me over I wouldn't be blessed with the most wonderful family I have right now. I hope that helped & I am srry something like that happens to anyone.
    adorabl3

Answer by adorabl3 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• not by family, thank you Lord, but yes. I was 15 and have been able to move on but I'll certainly use it as a learning tool to teach my daughter to be weary of who she sneaks around with.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 5:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I was raped by a stranger at 15, no details. But have been dealing ever since. I now have a DD and feel overly protective over her. 

Mrs.Murray27

Answer by Mrs.Murray27 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• @ena no its okay.....
    I still have issues with it and for the most part have forgiven as well but it still bothers me. I don't go around that side of the family that oftn. My,grandmother is so defensive. She told my mom I told her that I lied about it, I just wantd to get out of the house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I was molested at my preschool. I blocked it out, but had repeated nightmares about the preschool, men trying to kill me, and pain in my vagina. I never said anything to anyone . . . until I was raped as an adult, and everything came to the surface in such a painful way that I couldn't ignore it.

I go to therapy, try to stay as healthy as possible, and am VERY vocal about the wrongness of sexual abuse. I volunteered to speak at some functions about abuse, and it helped me so much.

I always remind my son and every other little boy of the importance of being gentle and kind . . . especially to women and children.
    Anonymous

• I was abused by my stepdad for probably 6 years, with a few family friends taking advantage on separate occasions too. The only one I've admitted to is stepdad. For me, I know that I didn't do it. I know that I was afraid to say anything until I had 2 girls of my own because I was threatened with death. I know that I WAS and am not now a victim. For me, that has been a big step. It happened. It can't be changed. I won't acknowledge my abuser's existence; he's dead to me. I will never forgive nor will I forget. I have moved on and the only times I think about it are like now or when I'm at the bottom of my depression. It did make a huge impact on my youth and looking back I see the behaviors I've had that were a direct result of it.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011