What do you think about medication for my 5 yr old that was just dignosed ADHD?

MySonMyWorld405

Asked by MySonMyWorld405 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hm.. not my son, but i wouldnt put him on meds.. figure out another way to deal with it..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I personally do not advocate medicating for ADHD; there are too many other conditions that mimic ADHD and manifest themselves as ADHD behaviors. I was able to rid my son of his diagnosis using a biomedical approach (vitamin/mineral supplementation and specialized diet).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think medication, therapy, and support groups are very helpful for treatment and management of ADHD. I would not hesitate to have my child take medication as part of his mangagement of this disorder. If my son's symptoms are interfering with his ability to learn, our family life, his emotional health, and his ability to age appropriately interact with friends - yes, I would. Medication is not a cure. It is part of treating and managing the symptoms. I will not allow my child's well being to decline because friends or family are against medicine for this disorder or because they don't believe in it. I love my child to much to have him suffer.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• What other ways did you figure? Was he or she having troubles in school? Like not able to sit still and learning troubles or like being suspended alot so young? My son is also very angry.
    MySonMyWorld405

Comment by MySonMyWorld405 (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Froqdawq that was an amazing answer and just what I needed to hear! Thanks so much!
    MySonMyWorld405

Comment by MySonMyWorld405 (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree that to many kids are being diagnosed with ADHD when they don't have it, to many other things mimic ADHD. With not knowing what your son is doing I can't say if I agree with putting him on ADHD meds.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 6:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Do you feed him processed foods, foods heavy in refined sugar, artificial colorings, lots of carbohydrates?

I would *never* EVER medicate a child so young. Period. Change his diet, his behavior will change.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No problem. I actulally diagnos and provide counseling for children and parents. I offer ideas about when to treat, when to wait, what actually is this disorder ( what tge heck is going on in that brain?), what medication can and can not do, and the educational options and the laws about ADHD. I offer to talk to every teacher, give tge teachers my cell (as long as parents are not given my personal number), offer practical sugesstions that are easy for the classroom, and tips/techniques for at home. With the child we work on personal space and boundaries, emotional regulation, social skills, and communication. All personally individualized. Finding a therapist who can work with your family and truly has experience (a lot) with both the disorder and schools can be very benefital.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• By the way - we are hip to tge fact other issues have the same symptom manisfestation. Most of us do a really excellent job in evaluating for alternative or comorbid disorders. The doctors I work with almost always refer patients suspected of ADHD to me for additional clinical assessments. And I do not think it is necessarily "over" diagnosed. It is both over and under. This is not an easy diagnosis to make. Last week I got my ass chewed out by a teacher because I would not hurry up already and dx the kid. To be honest, I find most teachers just as caustious, helpful, and supportive.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wow! You got great answers from frogdawg. Good luck to you Momma. Making decisions that are so big for our kids is always such a tough thing!

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011