Is it just me?

Or does anyone else find it odd, sad, disturbing that the "normal" age for potty training is now upwards of FOUR!?

Unless a child is challenged, there is NO excuse for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i think its crazy.. but every child is different.. i had all 3 of my kids potty trained the month they turned 2.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree unless the child is challenged, they should be sitting on the pot before age 4.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yeah I think it's odd when kids are that old. My cousin was still in diapers when he was almost 5. He would get his diaper, wipes, take his pants off and tell his mom or grandma to change him. It was kind of sad. I was potty trained by 18 months, most of my friends kids have been potty trained by 3.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Disposable diapers make it harder for the child to notice they're wet. Kids potty train out of cloth much earlier.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i completely agree. But I dont think it is anyone else's business when anyone potty trains their child. We don't know what is going on within their four walls so to each their own, it's not like ths is a serious issue that could harm a child. I never used the disposable pants I just carried alot of changes of clothes in the diaper bag so he could feel when he was wet. But like I said not a big deal when a person tains their own kid some peds say 3-4 is the right age psycologically, so don't . All i know is mine is trained therefore I am happy!
    ky_phoenix

Answer by ky_phoenix at 6:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• actually, that is not the "normal" age. i was actually reading up on some potty-training tips last night on babycenter and it said "normally" kids start showing signs of readiness at 2.5 and are typically trained at 3, HOWEVER, some kids don't get it until they are 4. potty training is a difficult process and there is no set in stone age when a child will be ready for it. my oldest was fully potty trained at 2 and a half, however my middle daughter who is now 27 months has not even had a single drop of pee enter the potty yet. i have tried every method under the sun and she is simply not ready yet. she is probably going to be closer to 3 when she is ready.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• WHen I was raising my three kids, it was 2 or 2 1/2. ARe you saying that kids are less able to learn nowdays? WTH?Where did you hear that it was 4 ???
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Oh good heavens. I would have to say so. My son was 3 but had the concept down at 2ish with accadents. But my little girl is 2 and wants nothing to do with it. (What a fight this is going to be) I think personally parents are just lazy and just give up too soon. What was the age!
    TrevorsMommy507

Answer by TrevorsMommy507 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've never thought about it, but I have declined to babysit a child that I thought was too old to be wearing a diaper. My DD was trained at 3. I think it would have been way sooner if her dad would have been on board, she spends every other weekend with him and sometimes he "didn't have time" and threw a diaper on her instead of panties. It makes a huge difference, a wet or stinky diaper never bothered her.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• kids are ready when they're ready. if you try at 2 just because they're 2 and they aren't ready, it's going to take a hell of a lot longer. it actually makes sense to wait until they are a little older and can understand better. ive personally never known anyone who had a non-potty trained kid of 4 years old, but it does happen and it doesn't automatically mean laziness on the parent's part or a disability.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011