How is the right way to discpline my 18 month son and 3 year old son

mbaca

Asked by mbaca at 6:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• everyone will have a different idea of what is "right". I didn't want to teach our DD to hit but at 8mos I knew I needed to discipline her somehow. So we wanted to use time-outs but at less than a year I knew she wouldn't understand the idea of sitting still on a chair. So we gave her an in lap time-out. I would just hold her still (without TV) in my lap and gently, but firmly, hold her hands for about 30 secondss. The rule of thumb for time-outs is 1 min/year old. She would calm down and before letting her down I always told her that I loved her, gave her a kiss and said go play, when I put her down.
    Also distraction is a great technque. When you tell them not to do something - at the same time give them something else to do that is allowed. THis avoids many conflicts. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 6:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011