This cant be legal

our town is has about 2000 people in it. we have about 8 cop cars way more than the next town which is bigger and only has 5. we pay high taxes also do to the area being "touristy" well yesterday one of the most well known "founding fathers" of our town had his plow truck towed right out of his yard. it is no registered because it is older and only used in his yard to plow snow. well without a letter or any warning the police chief had his truck towed. while the tow truck stopped in the local gas station to pump gas he proceeded to cut the cable and take his truck off the tow truck. we call the guy that had the truck towed we all call Elvis well Elvis and the police chief totally had it out in front of the gas station. the mayor was also present. well today it is all over town about what happened and elvis is ready to sue the city. its about time someone did. this police chief has harrassed everyone in this town for the last couple of years on anything from what you have burning in your patio fireplace to stuff like this. he gave no letter no phone call or any warning to let elvis know of this. well rumor has it that the police chief may be relived of his duties and i sure do hope so. we dont live in the movie road house and the abuse of power in such a small town is sickening. sorry not really a question but more of a harrah for the little people. we sure do need a victory sometime or another. btw elvis did get his truck back and with no ticket.

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Congrats to Elvis!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've never lived in a small town, I've only heard stories and stereotypes. But yours sounds like it belongs in a country song. Glad he got his truck back though :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Many town's have ordinances that state all kinds of crap you are not allowed to do and the consequences for such violations. Here in SC if you let your insurance lapse the ins company reports you to the sheriff and the sheriff will come find your car and TAKE the plates off your car, not just suspend them. They will also tow a car off your property for non payment of personal property tax and for having no plates if it's in view from the street. Police Chief is usually an appointed position. All you need to do is get a petition signed and go or have a town meeting and remove him or replace him. Its THAT simple.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've always been an Elvis fan! -lol Sounds like Barney Fife needs to go! That's ridiculous.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Good for Elvis! I agree with mrsmom, Chief Barney needs to be fired or at least, brought down several notches!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We live in a fairly small town also, and I don't know of anyone who hasn't had a run in with the police that wasn't purely ridiculous on one extreme or the other.

On my way to work one day, I was pulled over and held by 3 police cars who were looking for a 6'5" black male driving an old blue Oldsmobile. I am 5'0", white, female, and was driving a newer green Buick...and they made me sit there with my daughter in her car seat bellering in the heat and made me late for work while they took an hour to figure out I wasn't who they were looking for. LOL

Then on the other extreme, when my sister was leaving her boyfriend, we decided we were going to get drunk, walk down to his apartment while he was at work, and nab the Metallica tickets she bought. Keep in mind we were 18 and 19 and attempting to take screen off a window when the police came up...they asked us if we locked ourselves out and helped us break in. LOL Good work!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Barney Fife does need to go.
    vbruno-
    yes we do have ordiances bt nothing that says you cant have an unregistered vehicle in your yard. esp if it is only used within your property as a work tool. kinda like a tractor. do you need to have your snowblower registered? or how bout your lawn mower?
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• The police chief sounds a lot like Dennis Rader (the BTK killer). Rader was a dog catcher who thought he had the authority to do anything he wanted. A truck parked in a yard that isn't driven on the public roads doesn't have to have a tag. I think the police chief wanted a new truck. Good for Elvis.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• LMAO at the Barney comments...that is exactly what I was thinking about how our town is run! LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Take a page from Obama's playbook and organize other property tax payers and haunt city hall meetings. The "squeaky wheel gets the most grease" as Elvis might say. Then become more informed about your vote when city commission posts come up. Run people that think like you do. Your police chief needs to realize that he works for you, the tax payer. Little Napoleons are not confined to small communities...everyone has had experience with them at one time or another.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 7:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2011