Do you try?

My daughter has only every really asked for one toy. The real pet bird last year for xmas, which I found on sale and it was almost half off the normal price. But growing up I have played santa to many kids and tried to at least get them one item they have asked for. So my question is this, what do you give your children? All, some or one of what they want?

moma22angels

Asked by moma22angels at 7:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Holidays

• they get one present they really want and a couple little things mine are teens and things get more expensive every year and this year with the baby being one she will more then likely get the most :) and they will get the one thing they really want
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We don't really even ask. I think last year was the first time they made a "list". We discard any item we can't afford and then consider the rest. If we can find it we'd probably get what they wanted. Usually we just take them to Toys R Us a couple weeks before Christmas and see which toys interest them the most and then we get those.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:08 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• we don't ask our kids what they want, because we teach that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ. We do exchange gifts, but I want to avoid high expectations. Kids naturally associate Christmas with gifts, and there's no harm in that. But I want them to know that it's so much more. That's why we don't discuss gifts until they're opened.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:49 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We try to get the #1 item our gs wants... this yr he wants to replace is used older model ps2 game consol for a newer one and we are picking that up this weekend...
    Christmas is a fun time and if you can get at least one of the few items they want, that makes even more special...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Heh. Any of the above. The kids ask for a LOT of things in passing. I always say, "Well, it's almost Christmas - let's wait and see." The fact of the matter is that it's all just stuff and they won't be entertained by it for very long. This year will be easiset. Grandma got them into the American Girl dolls. They got rid of all their other toys because all they ever play with are those dolls. I'm just glad Target and Wal-Mart sell stuff for similar dolls so I don't have to pay $130 for a piece of doll furniture. :/
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 12:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• This year is the first time my daughter has really "asked" for anything. She is 3 so I think this is her first christmas where she really gets the concept. She asked for a Barbie Jeep...they're on sale for $88 down from $200+ on the day after thanksgiving. I am going to try to get it for her if I can get my hands on one while they're on sale. Other than that, she is getting some clothes I put up over the year that I bought when they were on clearance, her stocking is bath stuff, and I have a few toys picked out for her that I know she will like. So there are some necessities and some fun things.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2008