Why? (strange question lol)

Why cant we barter instead of using cash? I might be an idiot for not knowing this LOL. Is it for criminal reasons? Did more ppl steal and lie with bartering? I know its an odd ? but I was curious after seeing the "Indian Giver" episode of Seinfeld! LOL TIA!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• I barter for things with friends all the time. If it were for goods or services, there would still be a nightmare of IRS requirements. I think its because no one gets rich off of barter and as such it's fallen from fashion.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Lots of people do this on one-off bases, like a person will cook for someone who helps fix he computer.

I'm sure the biggest reason it is not encouraged is for taxes. No money exchanges hands, so placing a value on the transaction would be difficult.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My hubby and I barter all the time in our small business, but it couldn't really work large scale in todays market. Bartering only works if you have something of value to offer when someone else has something you need. Since I have nothing Walmart wants, except money, I have to pay cash for stuff. :-) Small businesses and small vendors can and do barter for goods and services all the time...but since people these days mostly do business with big corporations (with stockholders who are only interested in making money), bartering is sadly becoming a thing of the past. great question, though!

Machelle
     There are lots of recipes out there, but why not skip right
    to the ones that are already "family tested, kid approved?" Click HERE
    to sign up for my weekly newsletter!

MachelleL.

Answer by MachelleL. at 6:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2011