Questions about daughter in nicu...

Did anyone had a premie baby who recieved tissue and lung damage?
Did anyone have a baby with enlarged ventricles?
Did anyone have a premie baby who had a lvl 4 brain bleed and need a shunt?

if yes pls do share...what happened...how did the child cope....i dont know what to do... :(

intro:

My daughter was born at 23wks and 5 days at 1lb 7 oz. and is at the nicu at the hospital since march 2nd. SHes pretty stable other than her oxygen which she requires a ventilator whcih they had to switch to one that gives 600 breaths per 2nd...shes also recieved tissue and lung damage from the tubes of the vent and doctors have put on a different ventilator to see if it helps...her lungs seem to have a lot of water. they have to give her the highest lvl of dopamine for low blood pressure and morphine since she moves so much.
Also, she has a lvl 4 brain bleed (intraventicular hemorrhage) and doctors are certain shell have cerebral pausy or shell be completly brain dead...and many other things. Blood is lightening in the brain and ventricles enlarging. They say they will have to do a spinal tap and then when she ways 5 lbs put in a shunt that shell probably have for life...
She pees/poops regularly and was fed for about a week until they swaped vents..
Shes made it 3 wks, and dr's still arent giving any reassuring news...

im just worried and dont want this to end in a bad way.. Id appreciate anyone tellign thier story or thoughts, no matter good or bad....

Erzy

Asked by Erzy at 6:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• While i have not personally experienced this, a close friend of mine did. Her son was born at 28 weeks with many many complications, and fought for 9 months. He had 3 opeheart surgeries, colostomy bag, and on the high frequency vent. And the one thing i learned from her is this. No matter what the Dr.s tell you, keep up your hope and faith. Be strong for your DD, enjoy every moment, stay educated about everything that is happening to your baby, and be your childs biggest advocate. Do your research on all option, and make the decision with your DR, dont let them just tell you whats going to happen.
    And although, little Mason grew his wings before he was able to come home, he had a profound effect on everyone. His mom is even in school to become a NICU nurse. That angel is her strength and hope.
    I wish you and your baby the best, and that you find the strength in your weakest moments to continue to fight alongside your DD. <3
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• oh man i am so sorry, i have never dealt with it, but just wanted to let you know my prayers are you with all!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I had a daughter in the NICU, she stayed there from birth til' she was a week old, it was for rapid breathing though. I am very sorry you are dealing with this, along with your precious DD, I will be praying for you both, along with your family. Even though doctors aren't giving any reassurance, don't ever give up!!!! There IS hope in everything, especially a precious life! stay strong momma!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Your baby is sick pray for her

I've done sick kids my entire nursing career the first 6 with babies like yours.. God Bless you and your baby's future
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 5:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011