Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Do i need some kind of license to sew and sell stuff to boutiques and other businesses.i just started sewing and making my own cloth diapers and would like to start a business with it.

I'm a stay at home mom and really need to start making money and my talent is sewing and crochting and would like any advice to help me get started.thank-you.

Answer Question

Asked by amyallboys at 6:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 5 (92 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • No, you do not. You can open an Etsy store right this moment as you sit at the computer.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • obbydobbie you took the words right out of my mouth

    Answer by TrevorsMommy507 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • How does the account stuff work on Etsy though for example if someone bought something where does the money go.

    Comment by amyallboys (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • You'll need a Paypal account. It's directly connected to your bank account. You can transfer money OR have checks sent to your home and you can cash them like any other check.

    Etsy is very simple. You'll have a very small monthly fee and a fee for every item that you sell. It's a very SMALL amount, please remember that. You'll need pictures of your items and a good item description, then you will make the listing. When a seller purchases something from you, you'll be paid through Paypal and then you can ship. Once the transaction is complete and the buyer has received their item and there are no problems, then you can leave feedback. You'll notice an increase in buyers as your feedback gets higher and higher.

    I sell on Ebay and Etsy all of the time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.


    Answer by Razelda at 7:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011


    Answer by Razelda at 7:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • well im not so sure about how you could do your business but i can tell you that im due shortly and i wanted to purchase some cloth diapers and if your price isnt such a bad deal i would love to buy some from you. so please message me and we could figure somthing out. thank you. :) ~kayla~

    Answer by kaylacm1 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • if you're actually setting up shop physically in your home and running a business out of it, you might consider contacting your city permits office. they may have a policy in place that 'requests' you register with the city..some city's charge a business licensing fee, some do not.
    better be safe than sorry!

    Answer by dullscissors at 9:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

  • I agree with dullscissors, it is best to call the city permits office and make sure you are going through the right channels to get your business going and everything is legal.

    Answer by mlgrob57 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.