I need help. I have been a SAHM for the past 5 years and am trying to obtain my CNA.. HELP!!!

I really am in desperate need of advice. I had my DD when I was 18 years old and have been a SAHM for the past 5 years due to her being a special needs child. Money is tight and I am seeking employment and have always wanted to be in the medical field. In my town they are offering Nurse Training classes but you have to fill out an application before they will give you an interview to be in the class.. What do you do when you have no work history but know your heart wants to be in this field of work? I need help on how to make my application stand out to the employers..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• you put all volunteering you have done, if any, any rewards, certificates, etc you have received through volunteering or anything you have done, even if it was for a short period of time. you put your goals as well since you have no work history. if you have done babysitting you can put that as well, especially if it was for a special needs child
    Anonymous

• Explain why you know this is a passion of yours. Write any answers on a separate piece of paper and fine tune it until you are happy with it and then put it on the application. Take your time with it and put your heart into it. I wish you all the best!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Write it from your heart about how passionate you are. Include that you have a special needs child, so you probably have more patience and compassion than most people, which is a necessary skill to be a great nurse.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't know where you live, but most community colleges offer CNA training and the class is only about 8 weeks long... I agree with other posters as well though. Just put down your passion. Also you may put that having a special needs child has made you want to enter the medical field and obtaining your CNA is just a step for you and your family.
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 9:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Are you going for Nurse AIDE training? Sorry, I was a little confused by this, lol. I'm a CNA and I'm in Nursing school, and I don't know if this differs by state but in my current state and home state, the CNA course only lasts for two weeks, usually 2 to 3 days out of that being your clinical days.

Although I didn't have to interview for my course, I would definitely say WHY you want this job, and why you know its where your heart is. For me, I've always loved geriatrics. I volunteered in nursing homes, I just love that age group, they warm my heart. Stuff like that. Anything you can say (or anything you can show; awards, etc.) about yourself that can validate that your a hard worker, and that your committed to the job.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011