How did growing up in a segregated school affect you?

If you did not please dont answer with mean remarks.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in

• could you be less vague?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm wondering how many ladies on here will actually remember segregated schools. I'm too young, and I'm no spring chicken.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Our school was NOT segregated BUT geographically the area was primarily white - through school I remember one black person attending. There certainly was no rule that blacks weren't allowed - I just guess that there were few black families who wanted to send their kids to our piss-poor country school (good for them cuz it sucked even before there were 'state measures' in place to help achieve standards). So what experience I have with segregation wasn't true segregation in the historical sense.
    I can tell you that the lack of socialization with black children made me more prone to feeling intimidated when I did switch to a school that had a good mix of the races. It also made me more naturally curious and open to learning about Black History and customs different from my own. I think it made it less inclined to be racist because I saw it as their choice, not a choice that was forced on them.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My high school was the antithesis of segregated! When I graduated in 1986, there were 63 different nations represented among the student body of about 2000 students. Our class gift was presenting the school with a flag for each unique country, and the flags were hung in the auditorium. It definitely had a "United Nations" feel!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I attended 13 schools in 12 years on both coasts and in the middle areas, too. Some were predominately populated with people of one skin color, some by another, some were very mixed.

Children are children. Some are kind, and some are cruel. Some are smart, and some are not. Some are generous, and some are selfish. Skin color is less relevant than you want to think it is. Upbringing is more relevant.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I attended a public school through 4th grade. Then I went to a private school. We changed schools because my brother's teacher told my mom he didn't need to know how to do math since he was going to be a farmer like his dad. This was in 1969. It didn't have anything to do with desegregation. I grew up on a farm out in the county. There were no kids around to play with except the children of the families who worked for my dad. I didn't know there was a world outside that cared about skin color. My parents didn't raise us that way. My best friend for my elementary years was black. Who cared? Not me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Our schools were not segregated and my childrens' schools weren't either.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My school's weren't segregated and neither are my son's. I did go to an Italian-Catholic grade school. Mainly white, some Hispanic and 1 black family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm old but not that old.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• do they have those any more??????
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2011