Baby hates movement

Hi,

My son (Harry) is now 2 months old, and since he was born really he has hated going in the car, hates his swing etc. He will cry and scream usually until he falls asleep.

The health visitor thinks it could be because I was on bedrest from 29-36 wks (he was born at 37 wks) and so wasnt used to that much movement. She says some babies are just like that...and don't like the car etc.

I thought he would have grown out of this by now as i hoped he'd get used to it...but he isnt. i'm wondering if anyone else has been through something similar with their baby, did they come around eventually? Any suggestions as to how i can help Harry?

and...could this hating movement be a sign of something more serious?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 7:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think your health visitor doesn't have a clue what she is talking about....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Talk to your pediatrician if there could be any reason to worry. I'm sure he/she would know.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree with peanutsmommy1. You need to talk to a dr. or a shrink.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Why a shrink?
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• what are this home visitors credentials?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I live in the UK http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=807 . She is very qualified, and very experienced and I have no reason to question her credentials.
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Does the baby cry and fuss when you're holding him and moving? I'd think it's more of a separation issue than a movement issue. At 2 months babies get their comfort from your body, smell, temperature, etc. Being isolated from those comfort factors could be what's causing him to be upset. You could try talking or singing to him before you put him in the seat and then continue so he knows you're there. I've also heard of putting a shirt you've worn recently with the baby so that they have your scent.

If it does seem to be a movement issue I'd find a chiropractor that adjusts babies/children and see if an adjustment would help. Could be the way he's laying or even an ear problem. If the chiro doesn't work then I'd get a Dr.'s opinion.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• He does cry if he is rocked or walking around with him, he's much happier when he's still being cuddled or played with on the floor etc. We did buy a mix of CDs for the car and to play in the house to see if they help- ranging from happy singing to womb noises! Will try a shirt or something like that and the singing...they are useful suggestions!
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You might want to try a bouncy seat.. it has a light vibration not so rough like a swing and a car can be... also have you tried sitting with your baby in the back seat holding his hand and talking to him through the car ride?
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011