Do you feel that children should be sheltered from unhappiness?

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I don't think you should go out of your way to make every moment joyous,but they certainly don't have to deal with it daily if you can help it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes and no. If children are not exposed to any unhappiness, they will be woefully unprepared for real life as adult. But I do try to shelter my kids from too much unhappiness.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No,at some point in life they are going to have to deal with disappointment and unhappiness so they shouldn't be sheltered from it. They need to be taught how to handle unhappiness in a healthy manor.
    ky_phoenix

Answer by ky_phoenix at 8:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No, it's a part of life and never learning how to cope and deal with unhappiness isn't preparing my child for a successful adult life. Now, that's not to say I go out of my way to inform him about rape and murders and pets dying and drunk drivers and constantly tell him no every time he asks for something. But I also don't go to the extreme to shelter him. He's been to several funerals as family members have passed. My mom works with medically fragile individuals with severe mental retardation (kids on ventilators, feeding tubes, braces) He goes to work with her, and knows one of her students recently died at age 12. I've promised him trips to chuckie cheese before that got cancelled at the last minute and were never rescheduled. Unhappiness is part of life. I wake up every morning with the intent to have a wonderful, happy, stress free day, but it doesn't always happen. And I'm not going to tell my children it does.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No. It is a reality that must be learned to cope with early in life so that as adults they can enter society fully functional.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• no.

but information should be given in a safe manor on their level when ever possible.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• To an extent. I don't think you should try to take away every sad or bad minute of their lives, because they need that to grow and learn, but I don't think their home life should be particularly bad either. I know I shelter mine sometimes, but sometimes you just have to let them experience it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It depends. Some unhappiness in life is inevitable. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to expose them to unhappy events, but I would be honest if unhappy events influence them, whether it's not making the team or the death of a family member or something on the news. I think explanations should be age appropriate, but I don't think we should lie to kids to shelter them from the unhappy things in life.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Always depends on the situation. But in most circumstances, NO. Sheltering a kid from LIFE is more harmfull than helpfull, and sadness is a part of life.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No, I don't shelter my kids from life. I feel doing that just makes it harder for them once they get out in the real world.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011