Ever have someone stop being your friend because you wouldn't go to their church and/or believe the way they do?

I had 2 guy friends un-friend me because I wasn't interested in attending their evangical Christian church. I don't understand why we couldn't all hang out without God having to tag along!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, if they can't accept and respect you even if your beliefs are different, they are probably not worth having as friends in the first place!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've known several people who consider it an insult when they discover people they just assumed were Christian weren't actually Christians at all. I worked with quite a few of them at my last job who would go as far as getting people fired when they found it. It must be such a miserable existence to live in that much fear.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes, I have. After much prayer and study, I decided that I needed to return to the Catholic Church. We had been attending a wonderful little non-denominational charismatic church, and we were very happy there. My decision had nothing to do with anything negative about our experience there. In fact, I've never met a group of Christians that live out love of neighbor quite as well as that group. Anyway, many of our friends from there seem to have cooled off toward us, and several made remarks that made us feel very unwelcome (we were going to two services on Sunday for a few months). It is sad. We (Christians) all have more in common than we we have things that divide us.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes. Actually, it's a common experience whether you are a witch or an atheist.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Honestly, No. I haven't ever considered someone that petty a friend.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Not that I'm aware of, so if someone has avoided me after finding out my beliefs were different, it's only been people I wasn't that close to anyway. I'm pretty private about my beliefs (unless asked and it seems to be someone I can talk openly with) so I really only share my beliefs with people I'm close to. I live in the Bible Belt, and I've found that most people just assume I'm Christian unless they ask.

Really, if I knew someone who couldn't accept me for being me and couldn't accept that my beliefs were different than theirs and that I could still be a good person, then it's a GIFT if they walk away from me. I'm sure it would hurt if I felt like I was close to them for a long time and that suddenly happened, but if it's someone I didn't know well I'd be glad that I saw their true colors right away.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My husband's cousin deleted me off of his facebook and won't even say "Hi" to me at family events because he found out I don't believe in God. I've been friends with people who were very commited to their religion and longed for me to believe with them, but never did they choose our differences in religion over our friendship. Now, his cousin and I weren't exactly friends and we didn't really talk all that much anyway. However, I found it rather shocking that, that's what he chose to stop talking to me over. I am not against people being commited to their religion. I think it's wonderful they're soo passionate about their faith, but to choose religion over someone else is kind of silly to me. You don't have to believe in the same things to be friends.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have had over a dozen friends stop talking to me because I became a Christian.. I never preached a word to any of them.. I simply believed in God.. These were the same people who preached tolerance for other religions above all else.. So it's not just Christians, it's people..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 9:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yup.

My best friend from grades 2-12 "dumped" me in college when I left the Catholic Church to seek greener pastures.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011