O my O my what talkative 1st graders...how can I help the teacher I'm working with?

It must be the weather getting better because the children I work with their teacher is about to pull her hair out of her head. They won't stop talking. She does have a sticker reward system. Green good all day yellow you're on warning and red no sticker and she will write on the day of the calender which is stapled to inside of each child' folder what he or she did that day in order not to get a sticker. However, the teacher said it's not working anymore and she's tired of it. To get their attention she says class, class and the children repeat in the same teacher yes yes. Then she is also praises 'ALOT" she uses 1, 2, 3, eyes on me. She does use alot of positive reinforcements but the fish system is not working.

Does anyone have any ideas how to grasp 1st graders attention. The teacher is AWESOME!!! She treats all the children with respect and dignity.

bmwlover

Asked by bmwlover at 8:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if the whole class is good do a movie and fun friday with snacks
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• OMG I wish I had a really good answer for you. I substitute teach and 1st grade is definitely the hardest. They're still so little, but there is so much work to do.

Maybe there needs to be structured time during the day when they can talk & work together, and time when they need to be quiet. But some classes are just really chatty and it is hard to get under control without being mean :(
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Does she not meet as a team with the other 1st grader teachers to bounce ideas around? That is what they do at my son's school.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I had chatty first graders myself for a while. I started doing a star chart. I laminated a poster board, and put 80 pieces of Velcro on it, and the other half of the Velcro went on the back of each star (80 total). If we had a good morning, listening, completing the morning paper, etc- I'd add a star to the chart. If we did a good job listening during calendar time, reading time, etc etc, I'd add a star to the chart. If we had trouble listening, and were talking out of turn, I removed a star from the chart. Once the chart was full (80 stars) the class won a movie and pop corn party. Some days the class could earn 10 stars, others only 1 or 2, for some may have been taken back. I hung the chart on the chalkboard, right in the front of the room, so everyone could see it, and be reminded to follow classroom rules and earn those stars.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• She may need to redo her room environment and make it harder for them to talk to each other. Chattiness is so annoying, and it really takes away from the learning.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree with rearranging the room.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011