When can introduce cow's milk?

My son is 8.5 months and I remember starting my first on cow's milk before a year but I don't remember exactly when (I know not to replace breastmilk with cow's milk.. I want to mix it in his cereal and give him some in a sippy) Also, so he can start having that yummy YoBaby yogurt :)

Also, he was born a month early, does that change (by a month) when he can have cow's milk?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 9:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't start my kids on milk till 11-12 months, it's really not recomended much before then
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't remember how old he was for sure, but maybe 10 months to a year?
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• A year old. You will want to ask your dr about being a month early. He/she may want you to wait until 13 months.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i was told at a year
    MSKASSYLEIGH

Answer by MSKASSYLEIGH at 9:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i start with the cows milk in cereal at 9months but i'm not sure with preemies.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• A year old unless your pediatrician tells you otherwise, cow's milk is hard for babies to digest, and can actually cause kidney damage if introduced too early. If formula is too expensive see if your pediatrician has free cans they can give you. Mine gave me a whole case to help out when my husband was laid off.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I waited for 12 or 15 months, but beware, the first introduction to whole milk can be a problem. My little one stayed in the hospital because he was badly constipated. I mean the doctors told me to go on 2%, but that was worse. Eventually he got use to it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• wait for cow milk until a year, but I started yogurts and cheese at about 9 months. The way I understand it because theres are processed they are not as hard for the baby. Just remember foods at this age are more for learning they still get most of what thet need from breastmilk.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Mine were at a year. Whole milk until 2 then 2%.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If he was born early, I'd wait until 12-13 mos to introduce actual milk, should you want to use milk. The yo baby you can start around 9-10 mos, same with cheese.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2011