How to make your kids talk to you.

My daughter is 13 i took her phone away because she misbehaved at school. I told her i would take it till the end of the year its been 2 weeks and yesterday she ignored me the whole day and went over her friends, today she did the same thing she didnt talk to me or my husband. She didnt even ask for lunch money what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You can't force her to talk to you. She's mad, she'll probably get over it shortly, but she may not. She'll have to learn that she made a choice by her behavior, and now she has to take the consequences.

It won't be the last time that she stops talking to you so that you know she's mad at you. The teen years are tough, but you'll get through them!

Hugs Mamma.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Talk to her and keep talkin to her. I find it very difficult to ignore someone who is continually talking to me.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Nothing. The more use push the more she won't talk. She will talk to you when she is ready or really needs something. You can NOT force someone to talk to you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You can't make her talk to you, the more you pressure the more she will turn away, let her be, eventually she will have no choice but to ask for food or money, be patient and a word of advice, don't ever give up on her. Even though she might seem she doesn't, she is screaming out for help in the form of parent authority.

Answer by older at 8:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Don't do anything. YET, then say when you have the chance, I know your pissed at me, but you were told this would happen, When you are ready to talk to me about anything I will be here. Let her go, she'll come around. They always do. But I would wait for her to come to me.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You can't "MAKE" your children talk to you. You just wait for her anger to stew down and for her to come to you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I went through the same thing with my 16 year old earlier in the school year. I didn't take away his phone though. What worked for me was to tell him I understood he was mad at me and I really didn't care because I will love him whether he is mad or not and whether he talks to me or not. After that he finally said I'm not mad at you, I just don't understand how you can't trust me anymore....(the whole issue was over trust and I refused to let him leave the house...he had his phone, the computer, the tv, he could even have friends over but he wasn't leaving my sight except for school and practice). After that we were on speaking terms again. You just need to give them a little time and I think its okay to just say in passing that you understand stand she's angry but you're still there.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Make sure that when she talks to you, you listen.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Unless she has your permission to go to her friends house she has no business being there. Contact her firend' s parents and insist she not stay there but come home. Dont let her manipulate you into giving in. She has to talk sometime. If it is more than just manipulation and trying to get her way then you really need to build a solid relationship first. You cant make her talk. Be ready to listen when whe does talk, yell, scream, or cry. Doing something with her going to lunch, shopping etc may help her be more relaxed to be able to open up. Good luck and your the parent.
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You are the parent, YOU do TALK with your child and find out whats going on her life where she feels that she has to disrespect you. She's 13 years old and she still needs guidance and support from her parent(s) and ignoring this type of behavior will cause her to think that she can treat you anyway she feels. If she has left the house without your permission, go pick her up and bring her home. Sit down and have a heart to heart talk with your child...you never know what's she's dealing with until you get her to talk to you...please do not ignore the warning signs...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011