Would you consider dating an EX drug addict ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it would depend on a lot of things, how long ago were they addicted? How long was the addiction? What kinds of drugs? Were there other issues associated with it. What is the rest of their life like? How did they turn their life around? How long have they been clean?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No. Casual experimentation during the young/dumb years is one thing, addiction is another thing entirely. They may not return to using drugs, but they have a strong propensity to become addicted to other things as well.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My husband was heavy into drugs years before he met me. We have been together for 7 years and he has been clean all those years.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Some of the greatest people I have ever met are ex addicts and alcoholics. The biggest question is the character of the individual. In life there are no guarantees. It is important to truely know the person before making decisions.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• no not with kids possibly before I had kids.....
    Anonymous

• I'm married to an ex drug addict and he's an awesome husband and dad. I feel so fortunate that he found me. Are you scared that if you get with an ex drug addict that he will relapse or does it embarrass you or something? As long as he is committed to his recovery and has completely left his old lifestyle and addict friends behind I don't see the problem. There is always a chance of relapse I suppose, but life is full of chances for all kinds of bad things to happen to anyone. How long has he been clean? Like I said, as long as he's committed to changing his life for the better It isn't really fair to judge the guy or not give him a chance because of mistakes he has made in the past. You might miss out on getting to know a really great person.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 9:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It depends on how long they have been an ex-user. I would not want to judge someone from their past and miss out on an amazing person. Two of my instructors are ex-users/addicts and they have both been clean for 20-30 years. One of them was addicted to heroin, alcohol and a couple other drugs. She is no clean, sober and has NO addictions, doesn't even smoke cigarettes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes, in fact my SO is a former drug addict. He did a few different drugs over 10 years ago, decided to quit, and has never touched a drug since. He is great to me, great to my kids, an incredibly hard worker, totally trustworthy and very much everything I ever dreamed of finding.

Judging someone based on what they did in the past isn't right. Make your decisions based on who they are now. If their drug use led to them having HIV or Hepatitis or something, that's one thing. But if the only concern is the mere fact that they once were addicted to drugs, you need to look at who they are now and how they live their life now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No...I don't do drugs and even thought that's the past ppl sometimes tend to go back to their past...
    Myunbornlove

Answer by Myunbornlove at 10:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My husband used meth in the past. I don't care that once upon a time he used drugs. It would only disturb me if he was using them currently.
    jenmerk

Answer by jenmerk at 10:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011