I need creative ideas in disciplining my 7 year old?

mommy837

Asked by mommy837 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Extra chores, doing chores for others (my friend calls this community service for her daughter), writing sentences, writing letters of apology.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Writing sentences worked for my parents with my brother and I. And the best part is that the older your child gets the longer the sentences become and the more they have to write.
    Spazztic1

Answer by Spazztic1 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You could make her weed the garden or flowerbed.
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 11:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter when she wants to be doing something that she likes.
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 11:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• pick up trash at the park.
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 11:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Writing a short essay.
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 11:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Laundry!
    tiff4q

Answer by tiff4q at 11:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm big on the take-away, usually a play date or birthday party. I had to do it one time, and my son will never forget it.

I also do the apology letter, usually for talking to me or his father in a disrespectful way. That way he has to think about why what he did was wrong & put it in to words, not just say "Sorry".
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Be consistent. Offer rewards and clear consequences for non-compliance. I think you just need to find the highest "currency" for a child as use that as leverage when they need a consequence, but taking it away or limiting access/making them earn it. All kids are different as far as what motivates them, and only YOU know what that is for your kid.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Extra chores always worked with mine. They do chores anyway, just because they have to (no allowance or anything) but I find extra little things that they hate, and it's worked wonderfully.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011