Onion Varieties

I'm not much into onions but my husband is. I would like to know what the difference is in taste for purple, white, and yellow onions so that I can know which ones to use in different recipes. So what is the difference between the three varieties?

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Green onions are the yummiest :)
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 10:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• yellow are generally all purpose onions sort of the middle of the road as far as onion flavor. White ones have a little less punch. red ones are the strongest. vidalia onions are the sweet onions. If a recipe doesn't specify a particular type you can really use whatever you want. the safe bet is the yellow ones.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I happen to agree with loveablefox, green onions are my favorite as well. They're the ones that have the white tube at one end and the hollow long green shoots coming out the top. so good in stir fries and soups.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I never really use the green onions. I'll have to try some in a homemade soup. Thanks.

What color are the vidalia onions? Do they label them at the store?
    zboys

Comment by zboys (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• So do they taste sweet (the vidalia ones)? I always thought of onions as being strong in flavor.
    zboys

Comment by zboys (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Onions are strong raw, but when you cook any onion, it brings out a natural sweetness. Yes, the onions should all be labelled at the grocery store, if they are not then ask a produce employee.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• None of the varieties taste dramatically different. I grew sweet yellows, white, and reds (the purple color) in my garden last year and they really didn't taste or cook up much different. They're very interchangeable, it won't matter what ones you use for anything. Vidalias are just better for homemade onion rings, IMO.
    Anonymous

• I generally only buy the sweet ones

Answer by rkoloms at 5:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I only use white and scallions.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 11:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The burgundy red onions are the sweetest (vidalia).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011