How do you deal with bratty/mean children at the park

how do you handle kids being rude and/or mean to your child at the park.
i was at the park today with my 18month old twins and they were crawling around a slide on the TODDLER play ground and these 5 year old boys were playing pirates. one ran over and started pretending to stab one of my boys. my son started to cry because he was kinda scared. i told the boy, i dont think he wants to play that game hes just a baby. or however i worded it. later he came up and did it again. my mom and i had to tell him again that the babies aren't old enough to play that game.
he wasn't overly aggressive or anything and it didn't get the point where i had to find his parent or anything.
but it got me thinking about what I would do if there was a child at the park who was actually being aggressive or mean.

how would you handle a situation where a child is being mean to other children on the playground?

would you talk to the child, or go straight to their parent
what experiences have you had like this?
what would you do if someone came to you and told you that your child was being inappropriate to other children on the playground?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ooh, that's a hard one! How frustrating! I have an 18-month-old, and that would really bug me! Fortunately other kids have always been really careful with him at the park. There's no excuse for a parent not to watch their kid well enough that the kid goes and bugs other kids. I think if talking to the kid, like you did, didn't work, I'd go find the mom, or even tell the kid, "Do I need to find your mom or are you going to stop?"
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Leave and go elsewhere.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would talk to the child and sort the matter out...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This happened to us this last week. Mine is almost 3 and on the petite side. She was trying to go down the slide and this boy about her age elbowed and shoved her out of the way. His Dad sat across the park and did nothing. I told the kid that that wasn't nice and he needed to let my DD take her turn and he needed to be at the back of the line. He went to the back of the line and attempted it again when they all were coming back up to go down the slide again. The Dad eventually heard all of this and came over and got his son to do another activity. I won't stand for my child to be bullied and as she gets older she will understand that she needs to stand up for herself.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Our park has a bunch of unsupervised children that have no common sense. For example, yesterday I was at the park and a brother and sister, about 10 and 12, came to play on the playground. The brother kept yelling at his sister, would purposely elbow her as he went down the slide, and would throw wood chips at her. My 19 month old stopped playing and was watching this older boy so I picked my son up and left. It isn't my job to babysit and discipline other people's children. Moreover I don't want my son to copy their behavior.
    jenmerk

Answer by jenmerk at 10:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• first remove my child(ren) from the other child, then confront the parent.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Get the childs attention and start talking to them and asking them, nicely to point out their parent or caregiver, be nice so they will feel okay with telling you. Once they point out the parent/caregiver kindly tell them " if I have to ask you one more time to leave my kid alone I will go over there and talk to your parent" that should be enough to make the kid realize he needs to stay away from your kid
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 1:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would speak to the child, as you did. If it kept happening, I would speak to the parent.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011