"Mom's are supposed to be.."

Do you ever feel like you're supposed to be a certain way, because you're a mom? Sometimes I feel like one person when I'm with my daughter, and another when it's just me (she's in bed or at her dad's). I mean, maybe that's me being in "mommy mode" with her, but what about situations with dating, physical activity (if any at all), etc.
I don't think it's about "right or wrong" necessarily, but what are your opinions?

careph

Asked by careph at 10:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have felt and wondered the same thing! When my son started kindergarten (hes in 1st grade now), I joind the PTA. Not only did I join, I became secretary of the PTA. And at every meeting I felt sooo out of place! I am a laid back, happy-go-lucky, tattoed hairstylist, and although I have old fashioned ways of teaching and raising my kids I also believe in the freedom of being who you are.
    Long story short, I left the PTA because it was, and excuse me for catagorizing, too soccor mom for me. I felt like I was always being judged, and I felt like I had to pretend to be around these people.
    That is not something that I want to teach my children. Iwant them to know that it is ok to be who you are and wear what you want to wear as long as you are respectful and curtious to the people around you.
    To answer your question, be you. Youre mom no matter what!
    vmamommy

Answer by vmamommy at 12:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You should be who you are. Your family will love you for it and you will love yourself for it too.
    Chiqui52

Answer by Chiqui52 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I guess Im your stereotypical hot mom...lol I am soccer/PTA/ballet/cleanfreak/gardening mom...LOL And I dress very cute but I do feel that there is a level of respect I need to keep while dressing! IDK... I drink beer on the weekends with DH while ou friends are over and the kids play, and that is the one thing that makes me feel differnet even though everyone we know is over doing the same....LOL Just love you and be happy with ou!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• good question. I felt more that way when the kids where younger. I have teens now. I think with younger children comes this very internal need to be totally organized, inside and outside. In some ways you have to be, its just too demanding of a job not to be. I think I put a lot more pressure on myself back then to be a perfect mom role model. If for no other reason, then for myself to live up too. There just isnt room for mistakes, if that makes sense. The schedule of working and raising kids was never ending. It wasnt a burden by any means, its everything I had hoped for, but it demanded discipline on my part. Now, not so much. I think that comes with them getting older, and me getting older. Sure, I still make dinner, sure I still drop and pick kids up on time. Sure I still work full time to provide for us. I guess Im just more relaxed in the role now and letting go as they become more independent of me..:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I am who I am all the time, being a mom really never factors into anything consciously.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2011