Car Accident Settlement!

I got a cost report after my car accident settled and I found out that my attorney charged me almost 900$ in what he called advanced costs! Im furious I knew that he was going to take a third which was fine but I don't understand this bc it's a car accident settlement I don't understand why my attorney isn't making the driver of the car pay for these costs instead of me! I did sign a contract but I don't have it where I'm living now but he never discussed anything with me about advanced costs that I would have to pay for, Does he have every right to charge me these things for a car accident case.

lil_shannie

Asked by lil_shannie at 10:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• He has a right to charge you whatever the contract says sadly. If it's in the contract then yes. The reason the other party doesn't have to pay your legal fees is because not all states allow it. Plus you didn't technically NEED to get a lawyer so why should the other party flip the bill I think is their mentality. I completely get where you are coming from though.

That sucks big time though. My house burned down almost 3 months ago and I had all these attorneys and public adjusters wanting me to give them 20% to process my claim. One lawyer wanted $4000 min retainer and $450 an hour plus he wanted me to use his adjuster who would take another 10% of the total. It's a scam.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• He's charging me for postage to the other party! It's very Frustrating, If I would have none this up front then I probably wouldn't have had a lawyer! AAARRGGHHH!
    lil_shannie

Comment by lil_shannie (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes, he does have a right to charge you. My attorney told me upfront that she would be charging for postage, cost of medical records, copying, etc. on top of the 25% she will get off of my settlement. It was in my contract and I bet it's in yours. This is why it is so important to READ the entire contract before signing it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thats why I have always just gone through my insurance, they got me $25,000 ( the cap of my policy) but it was all mine. I'm letting them take the other driver to court. Anything you recoup in court you have to pay back to your insurance anyways , and insurance is something you're already paying for .
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We are going through this with my father's accident and on our contract he was very specific about what he was going to charge. We know he is going to take more than a third and other costs, but to my family it is not about the money. It is making the 17 year old who ran the red and t-boned him on Thanksgiving, killing him instantly, accountable for his actions. In the state where that happened, that is the only kind of justice we will get for my father because the kid was a minor.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:06 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I hear you. I have a 10 day jury trial coming in November and my attorney will recieve 33 and a third of several million. Wow, hugh. It's that fine print.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes, lawyers will charge you for every little thing. Every phone call, every discussion, postage, whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Mar. 24, 2011