A very honest question....Breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding....

I am wondering why it's ok to BF into the toddler years, but bottles are expected to be tossed by one year old....Teeth problems ASIDE, are there health reasons for this?? My daughter was breastfed for 8 months, then BM in bottle until 13 months old...just wondering for people who bottlefeed why it's such a horrible thing to do past a year old....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think one out of the whole day is going to cause near an issue, but have you thought about switching her to the tippy cups that are bottle like? Walmart and Hyvees have a tippy called Nubs they have a tippy mouth piece, but they are a material that is softer. And no valves so they are a lot easier to clean. I think if you are aware of the issues it can cause and doing what you can to prevent them than you are doing well.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Wow... the first anon lives in a very odd world, where science and statistics mean nothing. I don't believe that formula feeding is wrong- but your misinformation is disturbing.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• They may be more likely to develop habits with the bottle nipple that are bad for the teeth. I don't think it's really any other reason than that. An added benefit to extended breastfeeding is continuing the benefit of sharing antibodies. Formula doesn't have the perk.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 11:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• to breastfeed uses different muscles and makes babies mouth develop differently. ive actually heard some where that people who were breastfeed kiss differently then the bottlefed babies.

sometimes (from what i understand) using the bottle to long can negatively impact the jaw muscle development.
    Liebevoll_mami

Answer by Liebevoll_mami at 11:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've never researched it because my children have never used a bottle, so I'm not certain. But I guess I don't understand why that isn't enough? Tooth decay can cause all sorts of health issues, unrelated to your mouth. It, itself, is a serious problem.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• IDK, my son had a bottle until he was almost 2. Bottle feeding does not cause teeth to rot unless the child goes to bed with a bottle of milk or juice.

I think it's just a personal preference as to when to stop bottle or breast feeding. My friend breastfed her son until he was over 3 years old. He would just go up to her, lift up her shirt, and say, "I want mummies."

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I was just reading on this- and it says that part of the problem is that as they get older, it becomes an attachment issue. It is harder to break them of the habit as the get older.

I would try doing what they suggest for pacifiers- tell your daughter the little babies need them... and pack them up and 'send' them away. Give her a cup when she's thirsty- emphasize her big-girlness and reward her for growing up! Since you seem to not give her the bottle at bedtime- then, just substitute a cup.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've read that prolonged bottle feeding can lead to iron deficiency and anemia. Since you said your child is only drinking from bottle once a day then I don't think it should be an issue. 

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0816/is_3_23/ai_n18791432/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My 3 were bottle fed, and in my experience if you wean from the bottle at an earlier age (like 1 yr) it is easier to 'take away' and replace with a cup. The longer the child keeps the bottle the more attached they may get to it and the harder it will be to take it away.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• That's why I was wondering teeth problems ASIDE, what are the other health problems if any....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011