How old should girls be?

My dd is in 5th grade and she wants to wear makeup so bad. I told her that she has to wait until jr, but that was when she was in therd grade. Now that she is almost in sixth grade, I still think she is too young. What should I do. Let her wear it or make her wait?

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• my dad wouldn't let me wear makeup till i was 15 and finally did for my 15 celebration, and he still wouldn't let me, but i told him u promised.. now he still tries to do the same, but for my opinion, let her, as long as u know that it isn't too exagerated. my dad always new i would wear makeup at school bc he always said that my faced looked fresh as if i washed before gettin out of school.
    cataquiroz24

Answer by cataquiroz24 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• my daughter is in 4th grade and she is almost 5 ft tall and has blond hair blue eyes so I am always telling her she is a natural beauty she has peaches and cream complexion so I allow her to have a shiny lip gloss that is also a moisturizer. I have told her once she shows me she can clean her face and care for it the way it needs to be done once you start wearing makeup then we will take it to the next level. I have bought her ponds facial cleaner and also ponds lotion so far she only uses it on occasion so this is telling me she is not ready
    rmewfeof3

Answer by rmewfeof3 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• mmmm 6th grade is not that bad i wish i wouldve wore my eyeliner and mascara when i was in 6th grade! kids are really mean at that age.. i look back at my 6th grade pics and i see why..lol..i wouldnt go too far with the foundation and all but eyeliner n mascara n lipgloss seems fine to me.. :}
    Mami9674

Answer by Mami9674 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• For my 13th birthday I got a lipstick that was the same color as my lips with just a little sparkle. For my 14th birthday I got a compact and for 15 my Mom got me some eyeshadow and blush. She introduced it slowly and let me adjust. I think that we will proably do the same with our DD. Although Daddy seems to think that using nail polish is a "gateway" to more make up. LOL BTW our DD is almost 3 and I promised to paint her toes if she can poo in the potty and Daddy is very against it. What ever decision you make will be the right one for your family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I will allow my daughter to wear lip gloss in 6th grade and then add one item/year until she has full makeup, if she wishes, by her junior/senior years. But, I will be taking her for a makeover at several different places so she learns how to put on makeup naturally and if she is ever wearing too much I will send her back to her room to redo it. I've seen too many 13/14 year old girls with cakes of makeup on and it looks awful!

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• How about starting with just a little light lip gloss for now?
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I started with little color lip gloss and for special days like pics little eye shadow in 5th grade-now is about the same in 6th grade with Masscara
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 3:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2011