Atheist Pride Week?

Atheist Pride Week is 3/20-3/26. Should we celebrate a lack of belief? Is there more to it than that, like being proud that you are free from brainwashing, free to think for yourself? Or is it about "coming out", and letting people know that there's nothing wrong with being an atheist and that we can be good and moral people without religion or belief in god/gods. What are your thoughts atheists?

mommy2myles

Asked by mommy2myles at 11:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it's awesome!
    Atheists should be PROUD!
    We should be able to hang around people who tend be be more moral and don't try to rub their phony morality in others faces. Not to mention atheists are more logical (it makes for better conversation and company).
    We should be able to advocate having the satisfaction in just being ourselves and not having to worry about wasting time on Sundays or trying to convert other people. Oh yeah and none of that tithing stuff so megachurches can have private jets for private use.
    Atheism lets someone live in the real world so that they give their time and energy to real people and real things rather than pursuing fantasylands and superstitious folly.
    Psssssh, you all wish you could be athiest so you could take part in Atheist Pride Week! Jealous much?

H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 12:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• REally it's more about being "Out" and letting people know that atheists are people to, they just happen to nto believe in a God and it doesn't make them immoral, evil, or Satan worshippers.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Actually anon, Atheists take full responsibility for their actions which is something that the religious do not.   You sound very bitter!

Personally I have no need for an Atheist pride week because I don't have to deal with the prejudice that my counterparts south of the border deal with on a daily basis.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• " Christians want what everyone else wants, equality"

Are you fracking kidding me? Have you looked around your world lately? I think christians just do not like the fact that OTHER people with different beliefs are actually speaking, and they can't do a damn thing about it. They can no longer force people to shut up. I don't want christians to shut up...I don't want them to not be able to go to church, or pray whenever they wish. And guess what? They still can do those things. However...they will just have to deal with the atheist in line next to them at the store speaking about their own beliefs to their friend. And this being the country that it is, has to treat atheists as equals...as christians have been treated since the birth of this country. Don't like it? Tough.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I personally see no reason to do this. I'm proud to be an Atheist every day. Those who need to flaunt their beliefs are just looking for attention.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• ! But isn't it the athiests crying about saying the pledge of alliegance with "under God"? Actually that was a Jewish family (Engle vs Vitale 1962)
    Isn't it the athiests crying about "In God We Trust" being placed on our currency? First challenged in the case Aronow v. United States in 1970. Aronow was NOT an atheist.
    And Neither of these were added until the mid 1950's ('54 for the pledge and '56 for the "official motto" and only becasue of the Red scare).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• And why shouldn't they? It is an establishment of religion which is against our Constitution. So they are merely upholding what our founding fathers had already set in place.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• And it is not only Atheists who are against this Establichment of Religion but Muslims, Pagans, Jews, Buddhists, and even Christians. So really you trying to peg it all on Atheists is a distortion of the facts and only shows your own intolerance towards them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Oh and there isn't really a parade, that was just something another poster had mentioned and people ran with. While we have made appearences in other parades such as Gay Pride parades we have never had one of our own. Atheist Pride Week mostly consists of changing Avatars on Social Networking sites to an Atheist emblem such as the customary Atheist "A" and just being open about our bleiefs (or lackthereof).

An example of the emblem

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I was going to say isn't Christmas the big time that Christianity is celebrated all over the world and I am pretty sure there are Christmas parades and let me tell you where I live alot of the floats are from churches and they have crosses, nativity scenes and play christian music as they go down the street.

And im sure the Vatican has all sorts of events and stuff to celebrate when the tourists come, etc.

ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 8:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2011