Court?

I am going to be questioned in court in May. I've never been to court like this before so I'm kind of nervous. I wanted to see if any of you ladies had advice? Tips? Thoughts?

Here is the story as to why if you want to read it. My good friend got divorced last year, while her now ex was moving out of her house he took/stole a bunch of her things. Well she went to a lawyer about it all & months later here we are with a he said she said situation. The reason I am involved is b/c when her ex was taking her stuff (things that I know are hers) she showed up at her house. Well she caught him in the act things went down & in the midst of it all her daughter (whom was helping her ex) had a seizure & was taken to the ER.

During this time my friend came to my place crying with a car full of items. Asking the cop (that had been called before the seizure) what to do he said there was nothing that could be done. With this we went back to the house & took as much as we could in as many carloads as we could. I saw the house before & during us taking things & what was left behind. The next day the day that her ex was court ordered to be off her property we brought her stuff back to her place. It was empty, he took what was left (which was a lot). He had emptied the place, smashed some items, left messes all over the house, etc.

My part in all of this is I guess I'm a witness to the stuff gone missing. So her lawyer wants me to come to court & tell them what happened. I am nervous b/c I've never been to court like this before let alone ever going up on stand to be questioned. My friend has a lawyer however, her ex does not so if he wants he can question me.

I plan to be firm in my answers. No wishy washy sounds/words. I am trying to form answers to questions in my mind so I am ready & am preparing myself to not answer any of her ex's questions that may have not have anything to do with the situation. Got to keep my cool as well, sorry to say it the man isnt overly smart. I got along with him just fine but at the end of the whole situation he was real mean towards my friend etc so of course I have lost respect for him. So advice? Tips? Anything please I'm afraid I may mess this all up!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• If your friend has a lawyer I wouldn't worry about her ex getting away with asking any unnecessary questions in court because the lawyer won't let that fly. Just be honest and don't let your answers stray. You'll be fine mama =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• well...just say what you know...just really what you posted here...take a deep breath..you will do good :}
    dancingthrulife

Answer by dancingthrulife at 12:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• exactly what dancingthulife said
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 5:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Do you have a list of all of the things that you saw that he took? Pictures? Etc... If not, it may be useless for you to be on the stand...So be prepared for him to ask you to PROVE that you know everything that was taken.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 6:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Sadly we didnt ever think to whip out a camera b/c nobody knew how this was going to end/go. I'm sure that is the only thing that everyone in such situations say "wish I had taken pictures" & boy are we saying that now. Its a case of he said she said so who knows if the judge will order her ex to give back the items or compensate. He took things such as her photo albums from before they were even together. We of course wrote statements & everything down after the fact but its still he said she said. Our only witness to where the stuff is a 5yo & of course that dosent count. He saw photos of some of the items (my friend had to look up value of things) & said he knew where they were & that he uses some of it at the ex's place. He just blurted it out without anyone asking so we know what we know & its up the judge to believe who they will.

Thanks ladies.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2011