Have any of the Cafemom debates changed your opinion?

Have you changed your mind about any of the hot topics because of a debate you read? Or do you find that the debates solidify your beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Most solidify my beliefs. I will say my opinion has changed on a few things, but they aren't "polite' things. For example I used to believe most people could overcome thier ignorance if given more and accurate information on a subject. Now I know that isn't always the case and I am not as optimistic about it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• They haven't changed my beliefs, but it has prompted me a few times to research a bit more about certain topics.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Im 42 well traveled not shy in the least and have MANY friends... but realized how one sided my view of life has been. I am constantly shocked at the low morality, the horrible marriages, the horrible life choices, the number of young and unwed mothers ect. My eyes have been opened WIDE.

SO many things I took as common sense, common knowledge, and what is just right and wrong I thought most everyone knew... Im finding I am VERY wrong.  That there are soooo many for whom morality is a matter of convenience, common sense is not so common, and right and wrong is a matter of "if it is in MY best interests".

What has changed is my view of people... this site has sadly taken it down a bit.

Anonymous

• No my beliefs have not changed, but I have become very disillusioned. I have seen a level of rudeness here that surpasses anything I have ever heard before and at this point I'm really not sure why I even bother coming back to this section anymore.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• hmm...my opinions and views have changed a little bit since i first got on CM, but its not really the debates that changed it. the questions asked have forced me to do some deep soul searching and make more sense of what i actually believe. its forced/allowed me to ask myself the hard questions and come to honest answers.

but the back & forth bickering, name-calling, and "this side does XYZ. no your side does XYZ" crap disguised as debate has never changed my opinion on anything other than the ppl who get involved in that sorta garbage.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• No, they haven't changed my opinion, but I've learned good deal.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Not changed my opinions or beliefs one bit. I accept that people are different and their views, morals and ethics are formed from the experiences that they have had in life and their education level. I try not to judge-not everyone has the same reference point or even capabilities. Our differences make the world an interesting place.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I am on a solid foundation and the debates have not swayed me from my belief in Jesus Christ.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

•  Although nothing has changed my mind, I have and always will enjoy the replies that make me second guess what I believe, make me dig into the subject further and acquire more knowledge and understanding of how and what makes people tick.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• YES- I have learned quite a bit about witch craft, Pagans and a new one Pantheism-
    I don't know if its really a changed mind because I still believe what I believe-more like a fuller mind-
    I admit- all I knew about witch craft and Pagans was what i saw on TV- not accurate BTW-
    Never heard of Pantheism, still trying to grasp it-but its interesting to me
    I also learned that some terms I have used for years (non-believer) is offensive so I don't use it any more-
    So yes, I have changed my mind on what religion looks like-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2011