Question for people who are ambivalently pro-choice

Do you think that the reason that more people don't identify themselves as pro-life is because of the image associated with it? I'm pro-life for secular reasons, but I don't like calling myself pro-life because I don't like lumping myself with the type of people who generally refer to themselves that way. I'm just asking because it seems as if there are a lot of people who say that they're pro-choice even though they're personally opposed to it. I feel that there is there is enormous pressure for progressives to be pro-choice, even if there conscious tells them that it's wrong. I've often thought that if it weren't for the image of pro-lifers being a bunch of religious right-wingers, the majority of people would adopt that label. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally I could never get an abortion and I really hate the idea, but I am pro choice because I think it is very dangerous to start legislating what a person can and can not do with their own body. I think it is a slippery slope to oppression. That's why I'm pro-choice, even though I'm pro life for me. Make sense?
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My thoughts are exactly the same as Xynyth's. I think you'll find most pro-choice people feel this way.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• For me there is no pressure for being pro-choice. I have more importnant things to worry in my life then worry about somebody what they are doing in their personal life.
    How many pro-life people are willing to help pay for medical care and all the expenses to women to keep the baby??????????????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm pro-choice and i have never felt that i was pressure to be pro-choice. I just firmly believe that it is your body therefore your choice. I don't have the right to judge any one as i'mnot god. and I definitely don't have (or want) the right to tell other women what to do with their body and/or their life. I'm pro-choice because that is a very personal choice and it should stay that wya.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 9:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I don't feel their is a stigma for being pro-life. I do think there is a stigma for being pro-choice. As in your a baby killer, your going to hell for supporting that stance, your not a real Christian, ect... There are whack jobs out there that are actively involved with the pro-life movement who celebrate people like the "gas can man" and the the likes of him. However, I believe that those people would have found some other issue or movement to join if abortion wasn't an issue. Those people in my opinion are seriously ill will rally around a "just" cause whatever that chosen cause is. Its sad but it happens.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:52 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• But how can you think it's wrong for you to end a developing human life but not wrong for others? That doesn't make since to me. It's like someone saying "I think it's alright to rape, therefore I should be able to choose to do it. Don't like rape, don't rape someone." I mean all laws to a certain extent are legislating morality, and when a women has an abortion, another life is affected. It's not something that just concerns herself, she's conciously choosing to end a life that's already started. Is that not incredibly serious? How can you just say "That's just for women to decide themselves. End of story."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Frogdawg, if you don't think there's a stigma to being a secular pro-lifer you should see the reactions that I've gotten from friends when I tell them my views.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• to you is a life I don't think it's life the minute your are pregnant. to me its a life when it can live outside it's mother's womb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It's obviously "a life" I didn't say a fully developed person. And this question is for people who are ambivalently pro-choice, meaning that they are very troubled by the idea of what an abortion entails but are pro-choice anyway. If you don't think it's a life of any value then you are not ambivalently pro-choice and not the audience to who this question was directed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• so don't like my answer so u get nasty? when you post a question then you get answers. sometimes you agree and sometimes you don't. you can't tell me where what to post/answer. get over yourself and your drama
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2008