How necessary is an infant car seat bed?

My newborn was diagnosed with down's syndrome. And she failed her first car seat test, she then passed the second but her pediatrician says she needs an infant car seat bed. Since babies with down's don't have as much control over thier neck muscles. Did anyone buy one of these and think it works as well as a car seat. I see where she's going with wanting me to get one but how do these compare with rear facing seats on safety tests? And how long will she need to use this type of car seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Health

• There is a girl that lives down from me that has a carseat bed. I saw this and walked up to her asking what it is. I never seen these before! Now to read about them now seems to be a little weird! Anyway, he doc tlod her about these cause her baby was a premie. For safety wise, its actually better then a carseat cause it help them breathe easier get better O2 levels,do not have to worry about their necks flip forward and cutting off the airway. But as for hiow long they need to be in it, I would think they need to be in it until they have better neck strengh and hold their head better without any type of support. But that should be a question the doc can tell u. You also can go o google.com and put in infant carseat beds to give yourself better info and know what the pro and cons would be.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2011