Turn the lights off already!!!!

I can talk to my 5 kids till I'm blue in the face and they still leave every light in the house on and the tv too. I'm sick of it. What to do?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• um...unplug the TV...if they can't learn to shut it off then they don't need to watch it...that's what I've done with my kids... I've also have taken the lights in their room away.... really during the day they don't need them...and at night they are sleeping so again they don't need them.... after a few days they learned.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• These lights are not lamps they are in the ceiling, so removing them is not an option, I'd have to get a step stool if I wanted to remove the bulbs.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Show them the light bill and ask them when they are ready to pay it they can leave stuff on. It doesn't always work My kids are 21, 17, 15 and 4. I tried my own advice it doesn't work for me but maybe someone it will. I do have them get up and turn stuff off. Like if their bedroom light is on and they are on the couch I will stand in front of them and nag till they get up and turn off the light. For sometime I had signs all over the house about lights being off if not in use.It didn't work much.. It is something you will be dealing with until they move out.If you wanted you could shut down the power to a room ( switchbox) and tell that those are consquences to leaving stuff on and have them earn the privalge of power...
    Anonymous

• Hmm...IDK hun. A question for the ages....

Same thing happens here in my home I gave up on the nagging and just turn the damn lights off myself.
    Cecilia77

Answer by Cecilia77 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have a 5 yr old here that has learned very quickly. Every time she walks out of a room with nobody else in it and leaves a light on..I take a toy away. It goes on top of the entertainment center where she can see but not reach. Three days of this and she was frantic, barbies were gone, her princess crown was gone, when her fav. babydoll went up there she freaked out. LOl she ran around turning everything off. She told my dh when he left his office light on to refill his tea 'turn it off before Grandma takes your toys away too"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Well, when my mom had this problem, she took out our lightbulbs. We got the point pretty quickly though we still forgot now and then.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Buy the corkscrew bulbs, that way when they leave them on they cost next to nothing to be left on. They can save you hundred and hndreds of dollars a year on electric bills.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I've taught my kids about the environment and how it's bad to leave things on. They were so interested and asked a million more questions about it. Ever since then, they've been really good about making sure things get turned off so the planet doesn't get any uglier ;)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I tell my kids that turning out the lights helps reduce our home's energy bills and is good for the environment. They want to protect their future and, now that they understand this, they are eager to do what's right, both for our pocketbook and their planet. You can visit www.ecoactionkids.org to learn more and join the free membership of the great organization that supports this program, Hope to Action.
    Hope this helps.
    Anonymous