How to make a 5 year old poop in the toilet?

My 5 year old is potty trained.. he knows to use the toilet.. but for some reason he cannot stand to poop in the toilet. It has always been this way.
I've asked him why, he says "cuz I can't"

I've taken him to the doctor.. they say nothing is wrong. its just possibly a phase.. or he isnt getting enough fiber (which is BS cuz he does it just about every other day)

I have given him laxative suppositories which work.. obviously.

I know its not a medical condition cuz I can simply threat his favorite toy, or threaten he won't go to his grandmothers if he won't poop in the toilet. that works wonders.

I'm tired of threatening to take things away from him. I've tried to reward him for pooping in the toilet. that doesn't work, and threatening to take things only works for the time being. It doesn't stay in his mind he must use the toilet.

Any ideas? Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I worry that he will have social problems by being bullied as being known as poopy boy. He's a very brilliant kid, yet seems to have a problem with pooping in his underwear.

Ashie

Asked by Ashie at 1:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• tell him that bugs are going to crawl into his pants to try to eat his poop. it worked for my daughter. scare him.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 1:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He adores his grandmother "mimi" I've told him he'll never see him again if he poops in his underwear again. It doesn't seem to filter through.. but I suppose I'll try that too. I just hate feeling I have to scare him.
    Ashie

Comment by Ashie (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i know. lol. but haven't you seen that jello commercial? parents are supposed to be scary and crazy. that's the only reason they listen to us. they don't actually care what we say. haha
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 1:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• when my 3yr old did this, I gave the control to him. I told him it was his responsibility to clean himself and his underwear after an accident, it was not my job. When he did it, I ignored him, he told me he messed his pants and I said, oh? gross, and walked away. he changed himself 20 minutes later and never did it again. Your boy is controlling you with this. Dont let him
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• by the time i found out, the poop is dry on his butt.. forcing me to put him in the bathtub.. i refuse to waste any more money on baby wipes simply because HE IS NOT A BABY. I can't teach him to use the washing machine.

So far the bug thing seems to grabbed his attention. He told his mimi he doesn't want bugs. Do i feel horrible for this? yes? does it work? yes.
    Though, if this bug thing works, he will get use to pooping like he should, will grow up knowing i lied, but it worked.

I feel horrible for lying, but hey, as parents its our job. we lie about the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, santa, etc, so why not poopy bugs?
    Ashie

Comment by Ashie (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If the scare tactics don't work, you might want to ask him what bothers him about pooping in the toilet.

Not to be gross, but my son told me that what he doesn't like is that sometimes the water splashes up when he's pooping. He floats some toilet paper on top of the water and that has solved that problem.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would just try to be patient and get to the bottom of WHY he is so fearful. Offer incentives and encouragement and just work with him as much as you can.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes he can do his own poopy laundry at 5! My son does his. When he poos in his pants, he has to clean that shit up. Keep up with the threats and taking stuff away. He'll get over himself and use the toilet like a big boy.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If the bug thing works,well,do what works lol
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011