How long were you able to breastfeed before your milk dried up?

i was breast feeding on one breast for the past 5 months but now all of asudden its gone. i try and try but nothin. and poor gwenie just glares when i feed her bottle and wont take it from anyone but me. i feel horrid i wanted to breastfeed until a year!

KittyTussand

Asked by KittyTussand at 2:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your milk does not just dry up for no reason. You are correct in saying as long as they nursed, the milk will be there. Can I ask, what is it that makes you think you've dried up? Too often, moms think they have a supply problem or have dried up, when really, nothing is wrong. I'd like to help you sort this out, if you'd like my help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Alternating breasts makes no difference. OP... you may be fine and not know it. Most moms who think they've dried up actually haven't; they're just looking for the wrong things. Only ONE thing matters: Dipe count. Baby's pissiness matters not; she's SUPPOSED to do that. What you pump matters not; pumps are not effective and there are moms who can nurse TWINS but never get a drop from a pump. How your brests feel matters not; they're supposed to get oft and floppy full time.

Now, if you're on estrogen birth control that is a problem but fixable. Cutting your breasts off would be an unfixable problem.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for help.

In answer your question... mine weaned months before my milk was gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• hmmm... I suppose it could have do to with not alternating breasts.. but really that shouldn't be a problem. At any rate I had to go to training so, I pumped for aboutg 3 months but not steadily enough so I dried up right before I came home, was very sad. But.. I made it 6 months!! BTW good job no matter what, any thing you can do is better right!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 2:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I was only able to breastfeed for 6 weeks. But I had to get my gallbladder taken out and some of the meds the doctors put me on for that dried up my milk.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 2:06 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Me being a 1st time parent and nobody in me family never breast feed never said you could stock pill up on the milk.. I lactated kid you not from 4months pregnant til my DS was 4months old. But when i started not producing enough milk i started mixing t my breast milk with hte formula, and my DS adopted to it really well and my SIL did the same with my nephew
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 2:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It might be because you did not alternate breasts.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• 6 weeks, and then I completely lost my milk, and couldn't get it back.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my left side was inverted (i think thats what it was called) so she could never get milk from that side. I tried and tried hurt like hell and no shell or preparing helped. So i fed on just the right, i thought as long as you fed them the milk would be there...guess not...
    KittyTussand

Comment by KittyTussand (original poster) at 2:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I had to quit bf before I ever dried up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I didn't dry up until after I weaned, over one year each time. I agree with Krystal622.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011