Whats the best thing for eczema?

My 7 month old has dry bumpy skin on his belly, back, knees and the backs of his arms. It doesn't seem to bother him and the Dr. wasn't worried about it but there's got to be a cream or soemthing out there to help. Aquaphor doesn't help and triple cream dosn't do much either.

Betty_Blood810

Asked by Betty_Blood810 at 2:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was my son with Aveeno or Cetaphil skin cleanser. Then I use California Baby Calendula Cream. Also Chamomile tea helps just warm up and use a cotton balls.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• ya> I feel the skin shouldn't be dry completely. Some mild cream should do & that too very little should do at the intervals of 6 hours....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 3:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Stay away from Vaseline and Aquafor; they are petrochemicals and are toxic to the body. Even OTC eczema products/creams have ingredients that are known to exacerbate the condition. Stay away from Rx creams like Elidel, which are known to cause cancer.

Here's what I did to finally rid my DD of eczema once and for all. Eliminate dairy (dairy is often the culprit). Make sure your child is taking probiotics to up her immune system (eczema is due to inflammation) and getting lots of good oils (omegas). Switch out your child's shampoos and soaps for ones that are free of SLSs (sodium lauryl sulphates); SLS is a degreaser used on garage floors and extremely harsh to the skin. Use hexane-free, extra virgin coconut oil on the patches when you notice a flare-up. It can also be ingested for its numerous health benefits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I cant believe your Pedi couldnt give you something to help. My Pedi told me to buy Aveeno Baby Lotion Eczema therapy, the only place I could find it was Target in the baby section. It works really great.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my Pedi proscribe some .25 cream for those red spots and it works really well, sorry forgot the name
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My dr gave me a prescription for hydrocortisone to put on when it was really bad. Otherwise we use Aveeno.

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My DD had such severe eczema for the first six months or so of her life that we ended up using a steroid cream to treat it, which I hated to do but we didn't have much choice. Anyway, I'm not suggesting you get a steroid cream if it's not even really bothering your child. Eczema is caused by some sort of irritation, from food like dairy, or an irritant coming in contact with the skin like detergent, etc. and then the problem is made worse by the drying of the skin. So you want to try to identify and eliminate irritants and also hydrate the skin as much as possible. People have tons of advice but I really think different things work for different kids. My dd was good for a long time with a bath everyday and Vaseline on her skin. Then the bath everyday seemed to be drying her out so now she gets a bath every couple days and we are using Cetaphil cream. You just have to keep trying things until something works for your son. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• A lot of the babies in my family, including my son, have eczema. what we do is get aveeno oatmeal bath and use that a few times a week. I also started rubbing baby oil on the spots where my son has it the worst and it looks and feels so much better. I have also been told that daily baths are not good for eczema so we bath every other day just give a wipe down with warm water before bed on the non bath nights.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my 1 year old has it and the doctor gave me a cream for it and then i use Aveeno baby it has a natural oat formula in it and it works and i also give my son a bath every other night so the nights he gets a bath i aveeno baby lotion and bath wash and the nights he doesnt get a bath i use the cream it has made a huge amount of difference with his skin
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011